The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Blue tit chicks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catletmein

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Blue tit chicks Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum so don't know if this question has been asked before ? if so l apologise . Have got nest box with camera insitu, 8 eggs laid ,7 hatched, 3 chicks died with in a week ? , the remaining 4 chicks now fully feathered with some wing flapping going on the past 2 days. Both parents been very attentative , but tonight female not in nest box roosting with the chicks ? I'm concerned and have lack knowledge as to whether this is normal or not , will the female come back ? if she doesn't what do l do ? .
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is the norm. My female stopped roosting with her chicks when they were about 14/15 days old.

I weish your little chicks lots of luck.
Joan Rolling Eyes
ChrisB

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite an emotional business this watching chicks fledge isn't it? I found a young blue tit chick on the lawn yesterday which couldn't fly and was looking very vulnerable so I picked it up and placed it in the shelter of the nearby privet hedge. An hour later it had died - must have been weak from lack of food and I felt so sad having spent weeks watching the blue tits fly in and out of the nesting box with nesting material and then watching them constantly fly in and out with food.

This morning I saw another little chick on the lawn and thought here we go again. It was flapping its wings and barely getting off the ground. This time though both mum and dad kept appearing to feed it. One was getting scraps ffom the filled half coconut and the other was getting bits of peanut from the feeder - great to see the food I'd provided helping the chick to survive! Throughout the afternoon the chick appeared to get stronger before my eyes - flapping harder and getting higher into the air each time, so fingers crossed that there is a happy ending for this one. I wonder how long it takes from being thrown out of the next to becoming a competent flyer?
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisB wrote:
I wonder how long it takes from being thrown out of the next to becoming a competent flyer?

We were seeing bluetit chicks on the brackets of the pole feeder (being fed by a parent) within a week. I think of our 26 fledglings, some of these must have been "ours".

Chicks aren't "thrown out" of nest boxes - they have to be able to get themselves up to the hole before they take off, and most of them have done this a few times before they eventually leave!

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

I don't think the parents would cruel enough to throw them out of the nest it is the chicks themselves who make the decision to go. It is usally the last one hatched who is the smallest of the brood and sometimes has difficulty keeping up with the rest but the parents are usually nearby and will make sure it is feed.

Good luck to your Blue Tit's - mine fledged this morning and they had the good sense to wait for a warm sunny day.

Joan
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a physical impossibility for the parents to throw live chicks out of the box - they can remove a body when the chick is fairly young, but they can't manage to remove the body of an older chick, though they try very hard before giving up. (We've watched this happening).

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: blue tit ckicks Reply with quote

Thank you all for the info. 4 chicks remaining but the good news so far is both mum and dad came back the following day 6am ( I sat up all night worrying , and I get so upset when one dies for no apparent reason ) , mum and dad have continued to feed them so l wait with baited breath and will update the plight of the remaining chicks . Thanks again xx
ChrisB

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm fairly new to birdwatching (got interested after seeing a whole load of waxwings in my apple tree early one February morning!). I always assumed the parent birds decided when it was time for the chicks to leave the nest but was glad to be put right! It's nice to know they've got a fighting chance when they go out into the big wide world.
catletmein

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: blue tit chicks Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad 3 chicks remaining ! find it hard to understand why ? a few hours prior all seems fine then a few hours later another died ? such a fragile life for blue tits ! Do other birds chicks fair so badly ?.

Last edited by catletmein on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
catletmein

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: blue tit chicks Reply with quote

All 3 surviving chicks fledged this morming before 9am . Good luck wished to the little darlings . Thanks for this website and all the useful info and the kind people who replied to my posts , will be logging on often to gain knowledge.
ChrisB

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear the remaining three chicks survived. Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of the chicks in my garden yesterday.

Bluetit chick
Bluetit chick
Poster: ChrisB, viewed 88 Time(s)

The quality of the next one isn't too good but it was great to see the chick being well looked after!

parent and child!
parent and child!
Poster: ChrisB, viewed 110 Time(s)
catletmein

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: blue tit chicks Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Chrisb . They are adorable ! My question now is seeing as there are 4 dead chicks at various stages of developement still in the box and flies buzzing about , can l clean the box out ? . Kind regards Gail

Last edited by catletmein on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the RSPB, you may only clean out a nest box between August and January, but since you have a camera in the box, you know exactly what the situation is, so............................! Smile

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: blue tit chicks Reply with quote

Thanks Elizabeth . Nothing living in it now otherthan flies and l wouldn't touch it if the full brood had survived ,or it was clean and safe to be used again . Is it safe to put a little lamb wool (l bought a little bag of it) in the nest for the winter ? my son is a barber so do they use human hair also in the nest ? Missing the chicks already so want to encourage habitation again lol !.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: