The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Thrush nest in weigela

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynne

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Thrush nest in weigela Reply with quote

Not long since joining here, & found some fascinating reading. Especially some of the photos of bluetits preparing to leave the nest box. I posted about the thrush on the welcome page, but thought it probably fit better here.

We've only a small garden where we are now, and we'd just been planning some landscaping as I can no longer manage even what we do have. The weigela was due pruning, but we've had to postpone that, & delay the landscaping because of the thrush nest.

I wondered for a couple of days if they'd abandoned as I'd not spotted them about when I've been sat in the conservatory. However, having read up a bit, that may have been when the female was laying. Anyway all's well & they now seem to be sitting. Do both actually sit? Or is what I've seen, the male popping in to feed Mrs T?

It's gotten quite busy, with dunnocks and sparrow families parking their youngsters in another bush and feeding going on most of the day. Greenfinches have found our sunflower seed feeder and two pairs of goldfinches are sharing that and the nyjer seed. Spills are being mopped up by our resident male blackbird, whose favourite singing post is the shed roof. The female drops in occasionally but I think their nest is a couple of gardens away.

Today, the thrushes took turns and balanced a bit precariously on the sunflower seed feeder rail, successfully achieving a good few swipes, so I've now reminded my husband that we should sort out a ground feeding station. He's not too keen as he says it'll attract the starlings and pigeons and he doesn't like either of them.

I think you've probably got to put up with that as the benefit of other visitors outweighs that. I'll be asking him to get some mixed insect and mealyworms to add to the selection, but I think we'll just put one lot out a day in the mornings just to assist the parent birds. I'm wondering if we should soften it up a bit by soaking first, once the thrush eggs hatch.
Will the chicks cope with the dried mix? Anybody got any advice?

We've always got water available for all our bird visitors, by the way.
SpinningPlanet

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect live Surprised mealworms will go down well with your thrushes (and all the other birds, so I put out small amounts at a time). Don't put them too near the nest though. I have found Jacobi Jayne supply the best ones. Best not to put out the dried ones as they are no good for nestlings. I put mine in a hanging water dish and alternate between mealworms and water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: