The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Red Kite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Red Kite Reply with quote

I haven't seen anything about the Red Kite on this forum. Where I live in East Northamptonshire we have a very large population of Red Kite.
They are beautiful birds and can be distinquished from other birds of prey by their forked tail in flight.

On my way to Corby yesterday, a distance of 8 miles from my home I counted thirteen of these beautiful birds. Eight were circling together and I found this unusual as the most I have seen together is three. then I saw a dead badger on the verge ahead and realised they were waiting to feed (they are carion/scavengers and do not kill for food). I also have a pair of Red Kites just meandering over my house most days, I hear their unusual call before I see them and when I look up they are they are just above me, twisting and turning on the air current.

To think that not so many years ago they were nearly extinct due to human ignorance and persecution.

In my Complete Book of British Birds which was up-dated in 1996 it says "The Red Kite is a rare bird for which a journey to Wales must be made to see it" - luckily with the help of conservation it has come a long way since then.
Joan
Laughing
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the very useful search facility on this site, and found 23 posts (including yours) where Red Kites have been mentioned in the Other Birding Topics forum.

To do this search:

1. Click on the Search link near the top of the page
2. in Keywords put red kite
3. Click Search for all terms
4. Choose Other Birding topics in the drop down list under Forum
5. Choose Display results as Posts

I hope this makes sense - it's not very easy to explain!

(And if you choose "All Available Forums" instead of "Other Birding Topics", you'll get 579 answers)!!! Laughing

Have fun!

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Red Kites on "the Black Isle" .... (not an Island......just part of Easter Ross) .... that is Ross and Cromarty ... on the E.Coast.... N. of Inverness ... they can often be seen from the A9 ..... flying overhead .. when nearing Inverness ....... from the North.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: