The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Tree Felling - HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
May

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Tree Felling - HELP! Reply with quote

I'm in real need of some help. I woke up this morning to the sound of chainsaws. I looked out my window and saw that one of the huge trees just round the corner from me was being felled. After a long morning the situation is this. The council has contracted the complete destruction of six large trees that line a section of road in order to resurface the pavements. After a long time I was able to speak to somebody from the company carrying out the work. I asked what checks they had done for nests as these trees are very busy with birdlife. They are also very leafy and big and so I myself am not aware of what nests in them but with the level of activity there must be at least some.

They said they had done a ground check and spotted one wood pigeon nest (which he described as vermin btw) so they would not fell that tree. By this time they had destroyed two of the trees creating a lot of disturbance as the trees are close together. I asked if he had checked the trees when up in the tree and he said they did it one tree at a time, ie they don't know what they are disturbing. I also asked how they could of possibly checked for nesting holes in the tree when these tree's trunks are covered in leaves and the view therefore is obscure. They would have to comb the tree to be sure and I certainly haven't seen them doing that.

Anyway, worked stopped for the day after the fuss I made although it took 4 hours and they say they're going to send somebody to look for nests. Hhmmm.

What I find so frustrating is the fact this work is not pressing and these trees are the most high-bird-activity trees in the area. I don't know what to do if I wake up tomorrow to find them chopping them down again. My other frustration is I'm housebound through illness and four of the trees are out of my eyeline to monitor the bird behaviour because the nests themselves would be too obscured. And i'm so tired. Thanks.
SpinningPlanet

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job you are on the case. Very thoughtless of the council to cut down trees in the peak nesting season. They usually tarmac around trees because of the roots so why do they need to cut them down?

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a Tree Preservation Society in your area .. or yr County ......... sometimes "people" are so keen to chop down trees ... it does upset me too .. as lge trees take so long to grow......and so good for flying wildlife.. there were some in front of a new "super Store" ... in a Town 30 odd miles away .... well they were there at the start of the building .... then I noticed (before completion) they were all down .... your post reminds me ... to check if there is A Tree Preservation Society ... covering this area ... shall endeavour to make enquiries. I have just queried..... yesterday ... why grass verges were being cut before the wild flowers had dropped their seeds .. this has happened so often ... I was so angry as the verges I saw cut ... were near a Butterfly "Spot" ... and have noted the Butterflys there .. for the past 3 yrs. They are about this time of year ... including Orange Tip, Peacock .... Red Admiral. ..Tortoiseshell ... and several whites .. of different sizes ....this spot is near a forestry entrance... and the small area at entrance ... and along the roadsides for miles have many wild flowers... just at this time I wonder what reply I will get ... nothing so far. One feels so helpless .........

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May - this is probably too late now - but your local Wildlife Trust might be able to intervene. This should help you to find it:

http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/index.php?section=localtrusts

Good luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: