The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Dawn chorus_West Bretton near Wakefield, Yorkshire.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Dawn chorus_West Bretton near Wakefield, Yorkshire. Reply with quote

Must be crazy: up at 4.30 a.m for a meeting start at 5.30 at West Bretton: described as "hearing the dawn chorus" but the sun was well up by the time we started.The walk,about twenty of us, organised by FWAG lasted two and a half hours. We had an RSPB guide with us and we walked through various habitats, woodland, farmland and parkland including a nature reserve and part of the Yorkshire Sculpture Park stopping to listen: 21 species of birds seen and another ten heard....not that I would have known what most of them were...a very enjoyable time.

We were told that it helps to know what birds to expect in which habitat and where to expect them within each habitat....common sense really but a tree top bird isn't going to be a wren and a bird in the middle of an arable field isn't going to be a black cap.

It helps to learn one or two at a time and not to be frustrated if we don't recognise everything instantly. It has been a thrill recently to be able to recognise a number of birds from their songs, but our guide was something else. I know the drumming of a greater spotted woodpecker but he knew the short sharp alarm call of the same and picked out whitethroat, gold crest and nut hatch from very little.

I could have spent all morning at the heronry, and the lake had tufted ducks and mallards as well as Coot Moorhen and Greater Crested Grebes, Swans and Canada Geese,.....probably a lot else if we had time to stay and watch for it.
After a frustrating night earlier in the week, with a different group, when we had heard song thrushes singing their hearts out but failed to pick them out visually, we did see one this morning.
Returned home on busier roads and ready for a sleep that will have to wait a little longer.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up at 4.30am!!!!???? Rolling Eyes

Still - it sounds as though it was well worth the effort.

wales.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Must be crazy: up at 4.30 a.m

I have also done this in the past John and thought the same as yourself but I reckon that's the best time of day to hear those wonderful sounds and to photograph them as the dawn lighting is pure magic
and a memory which you shall always treasure

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Dawn lighting Reply with quote

I think the lighting at dusk is quite magical too, as with sunrise it can make using binoculars a bit difficult....but the strain on family life for an eveing start is a bit less than very early morning...
roditweet

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the lucky ones ... can hear the Dawn Chorus .. thru my window .. on sleepless Spring nights .. during the very early hours. For 2 years running .. recently .. there was a Song Thrush .. singing all thru the hrs of darkness .... (which are not that long up North here.. during late Spring and early Summer)..... Also many geese fly North overhead in April ... and one misty early morning hour ... heard Pink Footed Geese ... flying just above the river .. in the mist ... their calls so melodious ... almost like a rippling brook (or burn!) .... could not see them in the mist ... but the sound was wonderful and so close ... a memory I often recall .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Birding Outings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: