The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Bluetit nesting behaviour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluetitbuddy

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Bluetit nesting behaviour Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new here, I found the site searching for an answer to a question I have.

I have Bluetits nesting in my garden, they are currently in and out of the nest box with bits and bobs throughout the day. But what I have noticed is that when one goes in, the other one sits in the nearby apple tree flapping it's wings (like fledglings do when they want food) until the first one comes out, then it heads straight in.

So, does anyone know why they do this wing flapping? And is there an easy way to tell the difference between male and female at this stage?

Thanks, Heidi
CorkNest

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know what the flapping is about.
re male/female difficult to tell but if the chicks are only a few days old then the female will spend most of the time in the nest sitting on them to keep them warm.

Bluetitbuddy

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've just answered my last question by looking at the Bluetit diary! So it seems my blueys are really late if they are still nest building?

But - another strange thing, we have noticed that they sometimes go in with what look like green caterpillars. I assumed it must only look like it, but is it possible that the female is already nesting and there are two males bringing her food? I havent had a chance to look at their heads to see if they are both male.
Bluetitbuddy

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update for anyone who might be interested - I've just found out I was totally wrong. I've been putting dead brambles close to the nest box today to protect against cats getting too near and while I was there I heard chicks in there! So I've defo got both parents feeding which is great Very Happy

Still doesn't explain the flapping tho...
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Females often flutter their wings when they're inviting the male to mate - but it seems a bit late for this!

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm you're right there, she's well and truly bagged her mate. Oh well if I do find out why I'll let you all know..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: