The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

cat disturbed nest so I placed 4 robin chicks back in - HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollysrobin

northern_ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: cat disturbed nest so I placed 4 robin chicks back in - HELP Reply with quote

We've been enjoying watching robins making a nest for some time in our wee chimenia & just last night heard the wee chicks, this morning we were able to peak in and see about 5 wee chicks but this evening I found a cat sitting on top of the chimenia with its paw inside & chased it away. 4 wee chicks were lying scattered around the ground beside the chimenia so I put on latex gloves and lifted them back into their nest, they were all still breathing and only 1 had a wee bit of torn skin/blood. The robins have just started to go back in to see the chicks - does that mean they haven't abandoned them even though the nest was distrubed. Any ideas how to get rid of cats? We've put chicken wire at the entrance and over the chimney but surely a determined cat will just swipe that away too? Should I not have moved them at all & just left them to nature? I'm so so upset. Crying or Very sad
robins nest
robins nest
Poster: hollysrobin, viewed 66 Time(s)
[/album]
May

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'd say you did the right thing since you can't really consider a cat 'nature'. The cat doesn't need the meal and the birds can only gain by your putting them back. I have three cats and if ever one catches a vole or something I try and retrieve it unharmed and let it go. I don't consider that interupting nature and your actions are much the same.

As for getting rid of cats, I don't have a clear picture of where your nest is, but is there any way you could block the way by which it got on top of the chimenia? Otherwise foil. Most cats hate foil so if it had to walk over that it could put it off. If you have the time to watch for it, a few squirts of water from a little water pistol is greatly disliked but painless. It should soon be put off by that. I don't like more invasive deterrants as my three cats show, I'm a cat lover but my three so far (fingers crossed) haven't caught a bird for years as I try to be watchful and careful where I put nestboxes.
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, bless, the chicks are gorgeous. I hope they manage to fledge successfully without any further interference from the cat. You did the right thing rescuing them, I just hope you can keep the cat away!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: