The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Nesting Blackbird close toBluetit box adviceplease

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod S

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Nesting Blackbird close toBluetit box adviceplease Reply with quote

I have a bluetit nesting in a box on the house wall covered by a climbing rose.
A blckbird has now built a nest in the rose next to the blue tit box. The blackbird is protective of her nest and I fear she will drive the blue tit away especially when she starts feeding her young(expected soon.
Should I let nature take its course or remove the blackbird nestbefore she starts to sit. Advice please!
RodS
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rod - welcome to the Forum.

It's illegal to interfere with such nests at this time of year, so I think you should leave the birds to sort things out.

Being different species, they may not bother each other too much - but I've not heard of such a situation before.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I note that today the Blue tits are active and entering their nestbox with the Blackbird sitting on her nest next to them. Perhaps they will co exist wiyhout a disaster. Will continue to observe.
Rod.
Angelo

italy.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I also have a blue tit nest in the box on the wall of the garage and Mildred (blackbird) on her nest not far away. I don't think there's a problem at all. They do their own thing
Rod S

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your message. So far the two are co-existing here and no difficulties have appeared so far. I think the Blue tit has hatched her brood but the Blackbird still sitting.
Rod.
merton

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not usually a problem with different species. Some years ago I had a song thrush which built a nest in ivy within a foot of an open-fronted nest box which was being used by robins. Both pairs of birds completely ignored their neighbours and were often feeding their chicks simultaneously. Young fledged from both nests and the thrushes then built another nest just a couple of feet away and raised a second brood.

It sounds as if your experience will be similar. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: