The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Rush down to ALDI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Rush down to ALDI Reply with quote

ALDI have their nestbox (hole or robin) and camera offer on again - just bought one for 39.99.

Camera is colour, cabled (30m), with a mic, IR for night time, plug into TV or card in PC. 3 year warranty. Yipeeeeee

Very Happy
seb-mac

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know, been down to get one. Will build it up over weekend and put it up. Anyone had any experience with them before? I read somewhere its best to cover up the plastic side panels. Any idea if its true
Peter

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just opened the box and am now struggling to think how I can plug it into my pc. ..need more kit...
Peter

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally they are selling FSC wood bird boxes some some ridiculously cheep price (<5) too. They look very reasonable.
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need something to covert the analogue signal from the box into a digital signal that your computer can read, Peter. If it's a desktop, a video capture card will do it. If it's a laptop, you'd be best with a DV converter. I have the latter, and found the DV converter surprisingly expensive (over 100!) but it's far superior to cheap systems that convert using a USB device. I think video capture cards for desktops aren't nearly so dear.

I hope you get some tenants, anyway, after all the effort!

marski

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My bird box camera was from Aldi last year. It is not the best but at least for a first time user it is nice to see inside the box. The colour is not good and it tells you that on the instructions. I have not been able to get it on my computer and the cost of a converter is not worth it. The sound from the mic is very good Very Happy.

My next camera will be a webcam with better quality.
Peter

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sssssssssssssssssss That's the sound of the air going out of my balloon Sad

Only joking.

Thanks for advice. Fortunately I have a card in my tower pc for such cameras, I just required a SCART converter which I have bought cheaply over the internet. Will get back to you about the quality.
seb-mac

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just replaced my old box, with this camera one. I noticed there was a few droppings in my old box and on the roof. The droppings didnt look fresh but surely this is stil a gd thing? Could you tell me the name of the hardware peter please
Peter

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seb-mac wrote:
I have just replaced my old box, with this camera one. I noticed there was a few droppings in my old box and on the roof. The droppings didnt look fresh but surely this is stil a gd thing? Could you tell me the name of the hardware peter please

Sorry but I cannot remeber the name of the card for my pc - its a PCI card with some round posts like my TV has. IT allows my to attach my current wireless webcam receiving unit to my pc

The converter that I have bought is: "MHP 10m PC / Laptop to TV Video Kit 3 Piece - SCART Adapter / S-Video Cable / 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Phono Cable" Hopefully it will work
marski

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That is interesting because my laptop is a multimedia one and can be a TV if I install the card. I am now wondering if all I need is a scart converter, I will be looking into it.

Thanks for the memory jog. I've had this laptop for 2 years and never bothered setting up the TV as yet!
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marski wrote:
Hi

My bird box camera was from Aldi last year. It is not the best but at least for a first time user it is nice to see inside the box. The colour is not good and it tells you that on the instructions. I have not been able to get it on my computer and the cost of a converter is not worth it. The sound from the mic is very good Very Happy.

My next camera will be a webcam with better quality.

I've been looking at this site for ages - http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/ - because I like doing the jigsaw puzzles that Howard puts there regularly, and he shows some beautiful photographs. However, the other day I noticed that he has written a lot about a HandyKam box which (I think) comes with all the necessary bits and pieces. Prices of their nine boxes range from 58.95 to 114.95, depending on the specification of the camera.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seb-mac wrote:
Thanks for letting me know, been down to get one. Will build it up over weekend and put it up. Anyone had any experience with them before? I read somewhere its best to cover up the plastic side panels. Any idea if its true

I seem to remember someone here saying that their birds seemed bothered by the translucent panels in their box, because the birds kept pecking at them - so they covered them over. What they probably didn't realise (as first time camera box users) is that birds constantly peck around all over a box. Presumably the panelsare there to let some light in - so if they're covered over the photos will not be as good.

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Elizabeth, I have looked at the site you mentioned. The cam boxes look very good, I will try to sort one out for this coming autumn.

Also, I absolutely love JIGSAW puzzles!! Now you have given me another site to do them Party
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoebe -I'm pleased to "meet" another puzzler. I bought the software then I could make my own puzzles, and we put two on our bluetit website. However there was hardly any response - although I'd mentioned them here - so we didn't continue. Sad I have saved over 200 of Howard's puzzles - and I love his "Surprise" puzzles, though some of them can be very difficult.

I hope you like the HandyKam - I believe one or two members may have them, but I think it hasn't been mentioned here recently.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the plastic panels shouldnt bother the birds then elizabeth?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: