The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Birds in Danger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waveney One

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Birds in Danger Reply with quote

I have seen 2 birds in the garden recently that appear to be suffering badly from the weather. The first was a jack snipe that hung around for a couple of days very lethargically sticking its beak into any ground that was snow free it could find. It was the first time that I had seen a jack snipe in the garden and I commented to my wife that it was probably suffering from the harsh winter. It 'disappeared' after a couple of days and although we have no domestic cats near us there are foxes and of course magpies and sparrow hawks. The other is not a regular visitor either but there is a lake near and we do get visits - indeed a few years ago a nest on the pond. That is moorhens. We have noticed a pair wandering around the garden for a few days and today there was one sitting on the ground outside the kitchen window. Being an angler I always have a few maggots about that I feed to the robins and blackbirds at this time of the year. I went out and threw some out to it from 'round the corner' so that it wouldn't see me but of course a load of wood pigeons did and clattered off. When I went back inside the moorhen had gone. I assume the pigeons had made it dash for cover.

What that long winded story is all about is :-

All our birds that eat grubs, insects etc are in serious trouble because of the 'big freeze'. If you don't have access to meal worms then buy half a pint of maggots from the local fishing tackle shop. They are bought in either maize meal or sawdust and are not 'smelly' if kept in a box on the garage floor. You will need some kind of pot to bring them home in. Put them out in a low to the ground container that robins can stand on the ground and peck them and so that the rain cannot get to them. Once wet they can crawl up vertical glass! Keep the lid off the box when you keep them in an unheated garage otherwise they will 'sweat'. Keep then for too long and they will pupate. If they do this, then put the whole lot out and they will all get eaten. If you don't then they will turn into blue bottles and fly away.

A 'half pint', yes, they are sold in pints, will last a fortnight in the garage and keep all the blackbirds, robins and thrushes in your garden happy. Ask if you may have them in sawdust. Cost - about 1.50 for half a pint plus the cost of a feeder with a roof on it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: