The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Ring Pull Feeders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steph

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Ring Pull Feeders Reply with quote

Does anyone use a ring pull feeder such as I've seen in a catalogue recently? I find conventional feeders difficult to re-assemble after cleaning and am considering buying a ring pull feeder. They are expensive so don't want to fork out if they're not well-designed. Not found any in the shops at all. If you have experience of these please share with. I'd be v grateful, Cheers Smile
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've swapped over to them completely, Steph, they're brilliant. Literally every part of the feeder comes apart, ports and all, and they're so much easier to clean than standard ones. I thought they might be tricky to reassemble, what with having to get the central spike through all the components, but not at all, everything just clicks into place. I've bought three now and wouldn't have anything else.

(By the way, I don't have shares in the company that makes them! Laughing)

Steph

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kitty, that helps a lot. I will now treat myself to two new feeders, one for niger and one for sunflower hearts to replace my old ones ( they are due to be replaced). I can't wait! Do you think I should get the optional extra perch rings? Think it might be a good idea for the seed feeder because my robin goes on that, but the goldfinches surely won't need them on the niger feeder.
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought the extra perch rings because in my garden, it means the doves and pigeons can perch on them and empty the feeders at a very rapid rate! I just have them on the top perches, which helps the chaffinches who aren't quite so adept on small perches. (Putting them on the top perch means that there's no port at a higher level for the pigeons to reach round to.) The sparrows, goldfinches and tits don't need them at all, so if they're the birds you tend to see on the feeders I wouldn't worry.

I hope you like the feeders now I've given them such a good review!! You don't really see the benefit until the first time you come to clean them.

Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too keen on using extra perch rings - a few years ago someone mentioned here that he'd found a bird with its head trapped inside a feeder that had perch rings, and it didn't survive. I wondered if facing straight on to the feeder port made this more likely to happen that if it had been sideways on to the hole.

No doubt this an an extremely unlikely occurrence, but I'd rather not risk it. and the birds seem to manage perfectly well without - except a male bullfinch which is rather plump. He sometimes has to flutter his wings to stay on the perch, because it's not quite long enough for him.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tracked down the post I was referring to:

http://forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=3027

The feeder is a different design - but has ring perch so that the birds face directly forward to reach the food.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elizabeth. Now I have looked at that thread I will get the feeders as they come, which is with the standard rods. The perch rings have to be ordered separately anyway as they are to " push-on" to the rods. So I won't bother with those.

My pair of bullfinch seems to prefer to feed on the bird table! They are both quite hefty specimens like your male bullfinch. Lovely to see aren't they.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: