The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Peanut feeder emptied overnight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterD

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Peanut feeder emptied overnight Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new here so I hope I've put this in the right section.

Something is happening that is puzzling me. Near the bottom of my garden I have a hanging squirrel proof nut feeder that I routinely fill with shelled peanuts. Until about a couple of months ago this was frequently used by woodpeckers and other, smaller birds and went down at a reasonable rate. Now however, I see almost no birds on it during the day but frequently find it empty in the morning.

Does anyone have any idea what might be doing this? There is no damage to the feeder so it does not appear to be some super squirrel or something.

Also in my garden I have, nearer to the house, a bird table with three hanging feeders containing mixed seed, sunflower hearts and fat balls and these are eaten by birds at a normal rate and are not consumed overnight.

Best, PeterD
Stranger

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 squirrel proof feeders and still, only every now and again mind, I spy some bright spark squirrel thats managed to find a way of getting at the nuts. To be honest I simply think 'well done you' and let it have a feed although it must be hard work for it as it never hangs about for too long. I would think it highly unlikely that a squirrel or squirrels have found a way of emptying your feeder overnight but you never know. Is there any way that you can set up a camera?

Where I am the Starlings feed quite early in the morning as do the Magpies and I have had to move my suet block feeder otherwise the Magpies demolish a block in less than an hour. Are you up before dawn to ensure that it's neither of these?

Another thing could be mice, quite intelligent some of them are and you never know.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello PeterD - welcome to the Forum.

Is it possible that rats could be visiting the feeder? Shocked We've certainly seen a mouse on one of our peanut feeders on several occasions - it climbed up the house wall, and jumped across to the feeder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: