The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Leighton Moss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stranger

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Leighton Moss Reply with quote

Might be off there tomorrow or possibly next weekend, I came home the other day to find a card from the RSPB through the letterbox informing us that we can get a free hot drink and a slice of cake when presenting the card.

My wife said "we'll be going then, you'll do pretty much anything for a cup of tea and a slice of cake" Laughing

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, get there early before it's all been scoffed!

Apparently you can see bearded tits there I'd love to see one of those.

Stranger

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally went up yesterday, as Mrs Stranger and I are having a week off. Fantastic place staffed by wonderfully helpful people in the visitor centre, shop and cafe.

There's approximately 5 hides and we saw the usual teals, mallards, coots, herons etc but also spied a snipe and I saw a reed bunting; Mrs S was busy looking through the binoculars at the snipe when the bunting made an appearance right in front of the hide.

Around dusk we stopped at a brow in one of the paths, along with about 10 other people to watch the starlings come in to roost for the night, now I'd been told by one of the volunteers that this year they have mainly flown straight in to the roost without displaying and, whilst some of the larger of the groups did treat us to small displays as they came in to land there wasn't a mass display, big shame but the small displays were something to behold and the sound of the groups coming in to the roost site was amazing. Some groups came in from the East and some came in over our heads from the North.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I've uploaded them, probably tomorrow.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if you had a great day out I'll look forward to the photos.

I'm hoping to go to RSPB Old Moor on Sunday, on a guided walk focusing on water birds. Hopefully we'll not only see some interesting birds, but I'll be able to identify one or two of them!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Birding Outings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: