The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Best Spot of the Week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Goosanders Reply with quote

Birding has been interesting since we moved into Lancashire even though lately it's been a bit cool for wandering round with bins looking for avians but yesterday we visited Whalley Abbey with the intention of a coffee in their cafe , but it was closed so we took the chance to do a brief riverbank visit where in the past we have seen Dippers and Kingfishers ....but no such luck ....just a few mallard ....or so I thought in failing light....and then I looked again....we had a pair of Goosanders, the male in brilliant winter plumage ,the female with her red head and tatty hair style.They must have very acute hearing....the moment I started to unzip my camera bag they were off up river and I didn't see them again.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity ... they are so sharp eared !! ... but u were sharp eyed to spot 'em ... Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garden bird watching continues to give great pleasure and in the wider area ,last week saw my first swallow (the local birding website lists about a dozen sightings in the area the first on 2nd April) Yesterday I renewed acquaintance with moorland Curlew and Lapwings, both spectacular birds in flight, but the spot of the week has to be the visit yesterday to my garden feeders by a greater spotted woodpecker. I was just sitting in view of the feeding station having a cup of tea with my wife and there it was sitting on the fat ball feeder. So glad I looked up just then, it was only there for an instance.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great John ... they usually visit my garden .... not so far this year .... but do have a Jenny Wren and Blackbird ... nesting ..... Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garden list continues to grow. Very difficult to pick one from the last week but we now have a pair of Jays visiting most days. However the star spot has just got to be the song thrush that visited the garden after having seen a Mistle thrush the day before in the next village. It hoppd out from the shrubbery, had a successful tug of war with what looked like a very large worm, and disappeared whence it came. I had noticed one area of broken snail shells around s stone in a different part of the garden so perhaps it has been around a while and I have just not seen it.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be interested to know that a pair of Jays have been seen on at least 3 occasions in this area ... during this month ... most unusual so far North ,,, the Upper reaches of The Kyle of Sutherland ...... The RSPB say they have beeb recorded travelling North via the East Coast ... they do not like travelling over bare moorland ... prefer trees, So do hope they survive the winters here .... lovely birds .... AND a song Thrush has been singing loudly in the evenings ,,, just over the border of my back garden ... AND the Starling pair are now back in large nest box .... no swallows yet ... usually arrive on the 29th April ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: