The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Best Spot of the Week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been told there were Ravens on Royd Edge and though it is only a short distance from my usual route, I go there very infrequently.....this morning I did the deviation and there, admittedly a distant view was a simply huge corvid, it could not possibly have been anything else.
Going hunting Hen Harriers tomorrow with the RSPB in North Lancs....hope I might have something to report afterwards.

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trough of Bowlam proved disappointing in terms of what the pre publicity had suggested might have been seen, but we did have some lovely views of Common Sandpiper which I also saw at Langsett Reservoir this last Wednesday.....but today my spot of the week has to be the family group of Siskins that visited my globe feeder containing sunflower hearts....first time this year....three visits last year in July and October.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Spot of the week Reply with quote

I'm getting forgetful: last month three times within a week I saw cuckoos at widely different places: never seen one before in nearly seventy years.
This week it has to be fledglings and I think the family of linnets just gets my vote over the family of great tits....lots of other signs of successful breeding in the area

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a fortnight in Aberystwyth.....very good birding including....too many to list but the star spot of the fortnight,seen twice on the Rheidol and once at Ynyshir has to be the Goosanders...only one on the reserve but two groups of two and five immature birds on the river...I think I may have seen them from a distance possibly twice before but those on the river were close..

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Hal ... Feb and March 2013 Best Spot of the Week Reply with quote

Hi Hal .. been admiring your last piccies .... I have been off line for over a year ......... hope all well with family and birding notes ..... Cheers.. Roditweet Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can pick just one but on a group outing to a new developing reserve , Cromwell Bottom we saw Kingfisher and Dipper both around their patch of the river for observable periods of time and a female Goosander with (the count varied) eleven younsters in a straight line behind her. they emerged from one riverside, swam across and disappeared on the other side. That was amazing to see.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Spot of the Week ...... JohnD Reply with quote

Great spots .. including your latest ........ Dippers on river here ... but, of course never a Kingfisher ..... regretfully .. too far North ... on the Kyle of Sutherland. Have seen Goosander .... 2 yrs ago! On a dam, River Shin.. grand birds.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Bullfinches Reply with quote

We regularly get one or two bullfinches on the hearts feeders - but today there were 3! Two males and a female. Very Happy

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Bullfinches Reply with quote

Rarely seen Bullfinches here ... and never in the garden .. did watch them on nest on Springwatch .. and the other nests including Bittern ..... wonderful to see.. BUT the Heavy rain in their area .... is a worry .. have not looked today (under red button) as I am afraid to learn that the nest is now probably under water ...... Sad ... saw one of the Avocet nests flooded .. what a shame .
The good news here is that the Starlings in nest box in back gdn here, have happily fledged yesterday (a glorious sunny day ...today has returned to grey with cold wind !!!)... it was the third year of trying for present pair....... the previous pair were there with young every year for 5 years .. till the Sparrowhawk got the parents ... while on second brood, which had not hatched ... I tried to rescue the eggs ...but the small entrance hole AND the midges defeated me. Lovely to see the latest 3 chicks flying around with their parents ...Hooray.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roditweet
we were watching the bitterns nest and avocet nest , worrrying and sad. We lived very close to minsmere until a year ago so spent a lot of hours watching the bitterns. What puzzles me is that they have sluice gates to control the water levels, so why didn't they reduce the level and save the avocet, and surely they wouldnt jeoopardise the bitterns? Chris
roditweet

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Best Spot of the week .... Chris61 Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
Yes, I wondered about the sluice gates too, having heard it said they could adjust the water level, by their use !!??
Gosh, I do envy you having lived near Minsmere .... I did visit Loch Fleet (RSPB reserve) ,, Just North of Dornoch on the E,Coast, yesterday, and saw several Shelduck, Eider, Black headed gulls, Oyster Catchers and seals on the sandbanks,,,,,,, the tide was receding. One sees many more waders etc in Winter ... which I missed seeing this last winter.
Cheers, Roditweet.

finland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks ago I observed Cuculus saturatus (oriental cuckoo) in SW Finland. This species so rare that I guess it is the highlight of the year to me.

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Bempton trip:Saturday Reply with quote

Saw the usual suspects on the cliffs but the spots of the year for me came at Filey Dams which we dropped in on almost as an after thought...life ticks of Reed Warbler and Barn Owl....of the two the owl has it...quartering across reed beds on the far side of the lake....dropping down out of sight and then rising again...the wings seemed enormous just didn't seem possible that such huge structures came from a bird that is not all that big..

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really June since I had a bird spot sufficiently exciting to report? I suppose I have been rather diverted since then packing up the old house and unpacking the new and we are still surrounded by too many b oxes that still need emptying. However I did unpack the bird feeders almost on arrival at the end of October and rapidly established then what I could expect to see.
This week I had an unexpected treat when a pair of bullfinches visited our hearts feeder globe. We had bullfinches visit regularly eight and a half years back when we lived a mile or so further into Burnley and in Meltham I had two sightings of them in the garden in eight years.
I know I commented somewhere that if I wanted to see bullfiinches I could rely on seeing them on visits too RSPB sites at Old Moor and Leighton Moss but the last time I visited each of these places I failed to see them so it was a particular delight to have them in the garden here.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best spot for months !! has been two Jays !!! so far North ... on the Kyle of Sutherland,.. upper reaches .. last week .... first I have seen, ever. Hope they survive ... it is minus 5c here all white crunchy snow ... been scattering mixed seed in back garden ... black now with birds ......... at 12 noon sunshine,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: