The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Best Spot of the Week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dampflippers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I had a siskin on my peanuts, and yesterday there was a goldcrest on the (pets at home) fat balls!
I'm really chuffed and seem to have soo many birds at the moment.
dampflippers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooh! I thought the feeders had gone quiet.
Massive female sparrowhawk on the washing whirlygig now!
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the snow has come, though not as badly as in some other parts of the country and the garden bird life has become that bit more interesting...this morning my wife saw a wren....we have had wrens off and on since we came here but this afternoon on the fatball feeder we had two visits(that I saw) from a Goldcrest . Wasn't sure what it was the first time, it was in constant motion and round the back of the feeder more than round the front and then it was gone, but the second time I got a wonderfully clear view including the unmistakeable yellow crest. Total species for the day 19.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a fair amount of snow today (for Surrey - 7cm) so I put more food than usual on the ground, before breakfast. At this time there were sheltered areas free of snow, and soon 13 blackbirds arrived.

We get one jay regularly every day, sometimes two - but later in the morning we had three!

At noon the snow started to fall more heavily, and covered any remnants of food, so mid-afternoon I pulled on my wellies and plodded out to clear an area of lawn. I then scattered another generous helping of food (mixed seed, sunflower hearts, porridge oats and chopped peanuts) - and soon 16 blackbirds, as well as a few chaffinches were hoovering it up.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent view of a female Sparrowhawk just sitting there on the fence. Not another bird in sight...can't think why! Glad to say no sign of her successful hunting skills around here just at the moment....I wouldn't want her to starve, just don't want her to take the birds that visit here....there are far too few of them already.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week we had three spots! Smile

First of all, an Monday I saw a pheasant walking on the lawn then it spent a long time exploring every corner of our very untidy garden, and also had a drink from the pond.
A couple of days later, Malcolm saw four siskins (with a couple of goldfinches) on one of the hearts feeders - then realised there was a redpoll too.

finland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had unusual amounts of siskins and redpolls with us throught the winter (which isn't too cold at all, though plenty of snow). Pheasants are around only when some birdkeeper has released them - hawks, owls & lynx quickly pick them away. One of "the ten daily birds" here today: Lanius excubitor (great grey shrike).

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have Siskin and Redpoll in abundance in my garden, and a Great Grey Shrike has been spotted by freinds locally, but it has so far managed to avade me.
Siskin
Siskin
Poster: p200hal, viewed 16 Time(s)

Redpoll
Redpoll
Poster: p200hal, viewed 22 Time(s)

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very special "spot" this week - a goldcrest on the Berberis Darwinii at the bottom of the garden. Malcolm noticed it when he was looking out of the bedroom window - it's the best place for watching the garden, and there's always a pair of binoculars on the window sill.

That set me wondering how long ago it was that a goldcrest sat on the handle of the back door, attacking his reflection. Fortunately, the search facility helped me to track it down quite quickly - I found it here:
http://forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12&highlight=goldcrest+handle

I hadn't realised how long ago it was - ten years!

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted this Long tail Duck in spring plumage and the Fit to Dee, Aberdeen yesterday.

Long tail duck
Long tail duck
Poster: p200hal, viewed 18 Time(s)

Long Tail Duck 2
Long Tail Duck 2
Poster: p200hal, viewed 22 Time(s)

Long tail Duck in spring plumage.
Long tail Duck in spring plumage.
Poster: p200hal, viewed 14 Time(s)

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzard, 27/02/13 Knock Castle Royal Deeside, well chuffed with these pictures, as they are hard to get in frame.

Buz
Buz
Poster: p200hal, viewed 9 Time(s)

Buz1
Buz1
Poster: p200hal, viewed 19 Time(s)

Buz2
Buz2

Buz3
Buz3
Poster: p200hal, viewed 13 Time(s)

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday the 3rd march in my garden.

Female siskin
Female siskin
Poster: p200hal, viewed 19 Time(s)

Goldfinch
Goldfinch
Poster: p200hal, viewed 14 Time(s)

Greenfinch and Goldfinch
Greenfinch and Goldfinch
Poster: p200hal, viewed 10 Time(s)

House Sparrow
House Sparrow

Redpoll
Redpoll
Poster: p200hal, viewed 16 Time(s)

Woodpigeon
Woodpigeon
Poster: p200hal, viewed 13 Time(s)

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Best spot of the week Reply with quote

Sorry : I have been neglecting to post: have had some wonderful birding since my last post but this week no doubt:
Unusually low down on a stone wall beside the track upto the moor: a pair of linnets .
What totally delightful little birds they are.

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month in the garden and last night on my walk saw Willow warblers and heard quite exquisite song.
This morning something totally different....was listening to the blackbird singing at half past five (he had been singing at 21.34 the night before and from 5.00 this morning)when I heard raucous calls...and stepped out into the cool and looked up to see about a dozen swifts circling high overhead : amazing spectacle a few strokes of the wings and a glide, wings straight out, totally different flight pattern from the white bellied house martins which swooped and turned much more tightly at much lower levels a little later.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than a week,but I'm having problems again making a choice. We have at least two families of young Curlews (unless the same family manages to stretch itself over a larger area than I think possible) and tonight I have seen young greenfinch, pied wagtail and mallard...hurrah for breeding successes ......but the spot of the week has to be the Cuckoo.
Friday evening I saw a bird locally I did not recognise, or rather I could see part of it:greyish and about wood pigeon size but it was neither wood pigeon not Stock Dove both of which are found locally and in the end I just had to put it down as "unidentified" I had heard a cuckoo earlier but not made any connection
On Saturday afternoon after visiting Bempton in the morning our local group headed for Filey Dams and there again we heard the Cuckoo as we entered the reserve and speculated as to whether we would see it. As we got to the first hide there across the water a couple of dead trees were silhouetted against the afternoon sky and Wood pigeons graced their upper branches....but I looked and said "Look" and was told only Wood pigeons...."Look again" as the bird tilted its wing to display a typical profile with the squared wing set at an angle to the tail. All the while we could hear the cuckoo, and now we could all see it. Through a scope it was possible to see clearly the striped breast plumage and we enjoyed the view for quite a few minutes before it took flight and was lost from sight....now my only problem is do I count the tick for the Friday night, or for the Saturday afternoon....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: