The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Queuing for mealworms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Queuing for mealworms Reply with quote

At the moment we have three caged feeders for mealworms - minis and regular size, but Rosie's chicks can already manage the larger ones so I may not buy any more minis.

One of the caged feeders can be seen from the kitchen window. The other day Malcolm was watching, and as I came in the back door after providing the first supply of the day there were 4 bluetits, a great tit and a nuthatch queuing up - the GT got in first!

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that one of your domed cage feeders, or the boxed one? What one would you say was better, can robins get into the domed ones?
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feeder contains a home made fat block - used by tits, robins and other small birds. We've never seen a starling in this one - yet!!!

Caged feeder
Caged feeder
Poster: Strixaluco, viewed 55 Time(s)

We use cube shaped caged feeders for mealworms - visited by tits, robins and nuthatches.

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Queuing for Mealworms Reply with quote

Hi Elizabeth
Can you tell me where you got your cage type feeder from? The one which keeps out the starlings in the above photo! It doesn't matter what I do with my fat blocks, the starlings seem to manage to gobble them up within minutes.
I bet its one you have had for a while and can't remember where it came from!
Many thanks
Kiwiwatcher
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Queuing for Mealworms Reply with quote

kiwiwatcher wrote:
Hi Elizabeth
Can you tell me where you got your cage type feeder from? The one which keeps out the starlings in the above photo! It doesn't matter what I do with my fat blocks, the starlings seem to manage to gobble them up within minutes.
I bet its one you have had for a while and can't remember where it came from!
Many thanks
Kiwiwatcher

How much do you bet? Smile

It came from CJ wildBird foods, but seems to have been discontinued - this is similar.
http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=17&nav_id=152&prd_id=1806

I've just been looking at their fat blocks, and reckon they cost about four times as much as my home made ones - and at the moment one lasts less than two days! I'm just off to the kitchen to make another batch. Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Queuing for Mealworms Reply with quote

Thanku! Very Happy
I have your recipe for fatballs and the birds love them, mine only last two days too if I can keep the starlings off! The only mould I could find are rectangular so they are in bars rather than your nice shaped ones.
Am off to order my feeder.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: