The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Feeding small birds v. big birds?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benbow

france.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Feeding small birds v. big birds? Reply with quote

My wife and I live in Brittany. We feed our birds with nuts (a cage) and fatballs (a net) plus whatever else is available. We have a variety of feathered visitors but we find that the smaller varieties, tits etc, are pushed out by the more aggressive larger birds, sparrows etc.

I guess that this must be a common problem and would like to know how others have managed to give fair shares for all.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I dont know how big your garden is but I have quite a large garden and have found that putting food out in different area's of the garden keeps all the birds and indeed the squirrels happy. also making sure there is food available at lower levels for the ground feeders helps. I have a good variety of birds in my garden from the smaller tits to the larger Magpies and the occasional crow. there is plenty of food available for all although the cost is high it is worth every penny to watch the diferent varieties of feathered friends. Good luck to you. Wink
Mags
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get lots of goldfinches and sparrows on my feeders, but the tits do get their fair share. Whereas the goldies and sparrows will hog the feeders far ages, the blue and great tits are used to zooming in and taking a sunflower seed in between. They don't eat on the sunflower feeder, they grab a seed and take it back to the tree to eat it. I don't see them unless I sit by the window and watch, so it might appear just from a passing glance that the tits don't get a look-in. Are yours definitely not getting to the sunflower hearts at all?
Angelo

italy.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solution I have found is caged feeders that don't let the big birds in
robinred

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that spreading the good around the garden helps a lot. It used to be something that concerned me greatly at our old house, but actually the smaller birds are very canny at finding the seeds, and remember they dont need to eat as much either!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: