The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Detering Feral Pigeons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugadifino

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Detering Feral Pigeons? Reply with quote

We have a mega problem in our garden with feral pigeons. Sometimes up to 40-50 birds are wandering around, picking up falling seeds from the feeders. Our next door neighbour, a really nice old chap, used to be forever feeding them with, bread, scraps, even buying pigeon corn. We've finally (without falling out) managed to persuade him from feeding them, so the only food they're now getting are bits falling from our feeders. I've put trays on the bottom of the feeders, which stop 75% of the seed falling, but they are just fighting amongst themselves to get whats left. The only course open to us is to stop feeding altogether, which we're dreading doing, as we have built up a lovely bunch of visitors to our feeders, but a distinct lack of Robins, Dunnocks, Blackbird etc because anything on the ground is hoovered up by these winged rats. We can't leave the back door open as they just walk in, we have a cat but he's as much use as a chocolate fireguard, he'll sit in the garden with the pigeons circling him like demented Apaches round a wagon train. Our local council pest control dept won't act on pigeon problems, so we're ar the end of our tether, any suggestions??????

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get ground feeder guards here: http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&prd_id=1039

I found that starlings could get through the lower levels of the small mesh one, so I put chicken wire round these. At the moment, it's being used at night to keep cats and a fox away from the hedgehog food - it's propped up so the hogs can get in.

During the day I now use it to keep wood pigeons away, but as I want to let the blackbirds feed on the dish of fat mix, I have to accept the fact that this enables squirrels and starlings to get in too.

Two hogs
Two hogs
Poster: Strixaluco, viewed 61 Time(s)

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply, it's been getting to us, we even considered a bit of culling, but they still have a right to live. I guess i'm a NIMBY, we too have regular nightly visits from a couple of Hedgehogs and Foxes in fact one night we had a fox & hog eating at the same bowl. The wife puts dog food out every night, but they're becoming really picky on the variety, supermarket economy brands don't cut it for them any more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: