The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

detering magpies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mags

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: detering magpies Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone can advise how to deter Magpies. I have lots of bluetits and a robin regularly feeding in my garden and whilst watching the bluetits feed thier young I witnessed a Magpie take 2 young tits within an hour Sad I was really upset by this and need to do somthing to protect the little birds.
Please help
thanks Mags
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can perhaps get a cage feeder, that the little birds can fit inside but which will keep out the bigger ones.

But it's possible that the magpies will get them elsewhere. Or a sparrowhawk or something. I always feel sorry for the caterpillars that the bluetits eat - it's just the circle of life - as Mufasa said!!

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Mags

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your reply. i will try a cage feeder maybe i am just too soft when it comes to wildlife i hate to see anything get hurt but when you see the young bluetits fledge only to be taken by magpies its quite disturbing. what made it worse was as the magpie took the baby the mother followed after it. just wonder if she ended up as dinner too? well i supose thats life.
starseven

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my aunt told me about something similar happening to her - she tries to stop it happening by putting food out at set times of the day, as the magpies tend to visit around the same time each day. could you wait until the magpies have been and gone before putting out food?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: