The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Cat attack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LindaT

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Cat attack Reply with quote

We have had a pair of blue tits nesting in a box in our wisteria but this morning we found a cat had climbed up and tried to wreck the nest. The box was askew but we managed to straighten it up and the blue tits have been back and feeding after getting over their agitation.
We had to go out today and upon our return we found the nest box again askew and obviously this cat has tried to have yet another 'go' at the nest.
This time I opened the front and found 3 live fledglings but absolutely no sign of the parents. We have now moved the box further up into the wisteria and too high (we hope) for the cat to reach. What are the chances of the parents returning and if they are not there by the next day can we do anything more than we have done. We are trying not to interfere more than absolutely necessary but can't bear the thought of them starving to death.
Scribe

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats will climb most anything.....brick walls usually defeat them.....for next year move the box.... Crying or Very sad

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Blue tit update Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. You may be interested to hear that despite our moving the box, the parents have returned, found the box and are feeding so we are now keeping our fingers crossed that the babies will fly fairly soon because we are not leaving the premises until they do.

Linda
Scribe

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still suggest you find a safer spot for next year. Laughing

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Blue Tit update Reply with quote

Oh rest assured I will! Just relieved that so far so good but if I see that cat.................!!!!

Linda
Scribe

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 of the little darlings....my bird boxes are well out of reach...the only casualties tend to be fledgling sparrows who don't get out of the way fast enuff....even then 90% of them are brought into the house alive...where I then have to catch them and release them!

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the cat...don't get me started Mad Perhaps some chicken wire could be used to create more of a barrier? Just a thought...
LindaT

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Cat attack Reply with quote

Thank you all for your concerns - it has certainly been an interesting learning curve. Never imagined I could actually move a nest, albeit not that far away, and find the parents still feeding.

Sure they will be flying within the next day or so and haven't seen the black panther since.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: