The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

wood pegions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawn2557

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: wood pegions Reply with quote

:( hi, can anyone help me i have a very small garden ,but i do have a bird table and bird bath, but the wood pegions wont let the other birds get at the food , is there anything i can do to get rid of them,
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not easy, Dawn, but you can provide food for the smaller birds by feeding sunflower hearts in a hanging seed feeder. You can hang these from trees, or mount them on garden poles that you just push into soft ground. The wood pigeons are far too big to use hanging feeders, but they are used by great, blue and coal tits, greenfinches, chaffinches and goldfinches, house sparrows, and sometimes dunnocks and robins too (they find it harder to perch on the little pegs, so they often do 'hover flying'!) In the colder weather, it's good to feed peanuts from a hanging feeder as well as sunflower hearts.

Birds often won't take to a new feeder straight away, so don't worry if you get one and it seems to be ignored. Just put a bit of food in it, change it for fresh food if it's still there after a week or 10 days, and wait and see who comes. Hanging feeders are best situated close to cover, so that the small birds can dive into foliage if, for instance, a sparrowhawk decides to visit or a cat puts in an appearance. It's actually a good time of year to introduce a new feeder, as all the birds are feeding ravenous chicks and they need 'fast food' for themselves.

There are other options, too: you can buy caged feeders that sit on the grass or are pole-mounted, for instance, that don't allow big birds to get in. Don't forget your wood pigeons, though, they're probably feeding chicks as well. You just need a way to stop them scoffing everything you put out!

jan09

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know exactly what you mean about the wood pigeons, they do eat everything in sight. Here's a picture of a "baby" wood pigeon last week in the garden.

You can see how big they are and probably do need a lot of food!! However the young wood pigeons can be quite cute especially when they are practising their wing flapping. So I wouldn't discourage them altogether.
Jan
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dawn, and welcome to the Forum.

I sometimes use a caged feeder like this, to keep out larger birds:

http://www.jacobijayne.co.uk/care--safety/ground-protection/ground-feeder-guardian/

At the moment it's propped up on one side to keep the neighbour's cats and a fox away from the hedgehog food! Smile

Hedgehogs
Hedgehogs
Poster: Strixaluco, viewed 52 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: