The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

MEALWORMS!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avian

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: MEALWORMS!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! Reply with quote

hi, I have just recently bought my first 3 tubs of mini mealworms for my great tits who are currently incubating their 10 eggs. There is only around two days for the eggs to start hatching. I put a few mealworms in a small mealworm bowl onto the bird table. and removed the seed feeder just next to it so the birds discover the mealworms. however I dont think they have seemed to find them. its been 3 days, and I have even sprinkled seeds around the bowl, they only eat the seeds. shall I put some more so that its full near to the top? and shall I not put the dusty bits? HELP!! Sad

p.s. the male doesnt come very often to feed the female!! she goes a few times a day for 5-20 mins a time, so I need them to find the mealworms.
Rod Neep

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the freeze dried mealworms?

If so, then put a few in a plastic dish and pour boiling water over them.... leave for a minute and then tip out the water. Leave them to cool down before you put them where birds can get at them.

They'll now be nice and juicy.
I make up a fresh batch each day.

Rod
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2007, when I had a a pair of blue tits nesting in my box, I put live mealworms out to help feed the chicks. The parents didn't recognise them as food, and eventually all the chicks died due to a shortage of caterpillars and grubs. It was very sad to see, especially as there was ample food out there for them.

I've put mealworms out again this year, two weeks ahead of hatching time. They've been out for four days now; I've seen the blue tits go into the cage to take the peanuts I'd put in the bowl along with the mealworms, but the worms themselves haven't been touched. There's nothing much you can do if they don't see them as food except give them to the starlings, which is what I eventually did in 2007!

Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been offering mealworms all year round for ages now, but only the smaller birds can get at them - otherwise I'd need to take out a bank loan!

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit wrote:
In 2007, when I had a a pair of blue tits nesting in my box, I put live mealworms out to help feed the chicks. The parents didn't recognise them as food

Same for me, even though they were soaked. The robin and blackbird did catch on though.
avian

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I looked today to see the mealworms were eaten, but I think it were the collared doves or birds other than my great tits. because I havent seen them at the bird table or the male bring it in the nest? but the eggs were to hatch today/tomorrow Confused . I put the seed feeder next to the live mealworms, hope they find them in time! I also topped the bowl up to the top so it easier to notice! I guess ill have to wait and see if they find them! thanks for all the help guys. I just hope i see my first fledglings!!
patmac

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a Gardman mealworm feeder to help supplement the diet of the pair of nesting bluetits chicks when they hopefully hatch at the weekend...there are 11 eggs. How high does the feeder dome need to be above the tray, I initially left about a 3" gap but the pesky starlings are in there no problem is this too large a gap.Help please.
jan09

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patmac
We bought the same mealworm feeder we left only about 1 inch gap and the pesky starlings got in this - the small birds didn't get a look in
Elizabeth recommended a domed cage feeder (like the squirrel proof one)
We did get one and it did keep out the starlings but the small birds have not managed to find it yet
Our chicks have hatched yesterday so Fingers crossed they find it soon
Jan
patmac

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jan, Thanks for that, the starlings have emptied it again with the tiniest gap so I will try what you suggest. Good luck with your nest, hope all goes well with your chicks. Keep usposted.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jan09 wrote:
Elizabeth recommended a domed cage feeder (like the squirrel proof one)
We did get one and it did keep out the starlings but the small birds have not managed to find it yet.

It's not actually domed: http://www.haiths.com/product-Caged-Live-Food-Feeder-BFFADLIVECAGE/

We've been offering mealworms all year round for at least 16 years, so the birds know where to look - though this is the first year we've had a feeder like this outside the kitchen window as well as outside the dining room window. They are used by bluetits, great tits, a robin, a house sparrow and a nuthatch. The nuthatch has been taking away mealworms for quite a long time now - we wondered if he was feeding an incubating female.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Commercial feeders Reply with quote

Is there a more general problem withthe production of commercial feeders for birds just not being what the birds want. I had what I thought was a lovely peanut globe which took a lot of nuts to fill and that wasn't touched in two different locations in Lancashire and Yorkshire. A friend gave me a bright yellow house shaped feeder with a front perch and a block of seed fat mixture and that wasn't touched either.
dampflippers

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a gardman feeder that I can't keep the starlings out of.
Last year I made a feeder out of a plastic bottle which the great tits used, but they haven't found it yet this year.
I also converted a Wilkinson's wooden feeder by drilling a hole in the wood one end, and putting mesh on one side. Today a greattit has just found the hole for the first time. Otherwise starlings just put their heads through the mesh.
patmac

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have temporarily fooled the starlings by putting the dried mealworms in a clear tube feeder.....but for how long I wonder ? It's getting busy at my feeder today, a pair of Greater Spotted woodpeckers have shown up, I will not be encouraging them as I have 7 bluetit chicks in my nest box with 3 eggs yet to hatch...it's hard being a surrogate parent isn't it, always things hanging around you don't want the kids to be friends with !!!!!!!
seb-mac

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the dimensions of the holes on this feeder?
patmac

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a standard clear plastic seed feeder which you can buy from any pet shop.......the type with the perch either side and aperture of about half an inch.....it certainly kept the starlings off as they are too big for the perches...good luck. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: