The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Camera for bird box?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grandma_Fizzy

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Camera for bird box? Reply with quote

Hi all.. I am thinking of changing 2 of our bird box cameras. The two I already have came with the boxes ( both from Handykam). Whilst there is nothing wrong with them, I get very envious of the pics some of you guys show on here. I think mine are CMOS cameras (small with 6 infrared things around the lens) and if the bit of reading up I have done is correct, to achieve better pics I would need CCD cameras.

Which now brings me to the question, where would you suggest I look to obtain these replacement cams and if known what sort of price am I looking at.

Don't have very much teccy knowledge, more of a plug and play kind of a girl Wink so if anyone replies, can you please keep it simple.

Thanks in anticipation Smile

Life isn't about the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away. ANONYMOUS
ideas67

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handykam do sell ccd camera I have just brought one and it is a very good camera. And it was only 55 and it was just a plug and play system.
ornithopod

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideas67 asked by email what cameras we used.

Elizabeth and I started by getting a Boxwatch kit - around 10 years ago there wasn't much choice! This included a small colour camera with no infra red capability. You can see the details at
http://www.boxwatch.co.uk

Since then I believe the quality of the Boxwatch camera has been improved a little but they are still selling basically the same camera for 150. I think it produces excellent images but it is more expensive that those sold by, for example, Handykam. However, Boxwatch don't say much about the camera they use on their website so I can't give you the technical details.

In optics, like so much else, to get better quality than the standard offering you have to pay a lot more. However, I think that the fact that we have a wired system and use a good quality video capture card has as big an effect as the camera.

The side mounted camera in Box3 is a Watec WAT-232 camera and was a lot more expensive. However, it does offer excellent colour quality with the ability to switch to infra red over night without the day time image suffering. Often cameras that do both by incorporating infra red LEDs in the camera seem to suffer from poor colour quality in the day time.

Our Bluetit Diary can be found at http://www.biggonline.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Webcams All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: