The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

100 miles of common birds
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: 100 miles of common birds Reply with quote

Went out saturday with group. We found some 50 species, all 50 already on my year list.

Went to twitch a Black-throated Blue Warbler, year bird 198 also a lifer. Had seen it once in flight before, never got a good look then.
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esa does this mean you saw it - or missed it again? Confused

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I saw it good this time. Borrowed pic.

warbler
warbler
Poster: Esa, viewed 79 Time(s)
Pete

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty bird esa

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart bird Esa!

Well done. Very Happy

Eagles Rule!

Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bird and congrats on the spot! Very Happy

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
davevikingr

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is usual for me to see no new species on my bird-watches and rambles. Never bothers me though - I enjoy what I see - maybe seeing a familiar species in a new location - or one common elsewhere but less so in my location. For instance - since I was a kid I've been seeing buzzards (buteo buteo by the way not vultures !!) in Scotland, the west of England and Wales but I saw one flying over East Yorkshire in the eastern parts of England once - one of the best sightings ever - this was in the 1980s when the Buzzard made it's very first appearance in the county for generations. Now I see them regularly but it's still such a treat to see a bird, once so persecuted, now recovering and doing well.
I take so much more out of bird-watching than collecting new species.
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think it will go that way more and more. maybe I don't want a year list but a spring list and a fall list.

It is just that I need 2 birds to get to 200 this year. Wink
davevikingr

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy seeing new species and am quite happy to go and see one if it's somewhere nearby. I saw a White Stork in Scotland in a field adjacent to a reserve I was working on at the time - that was good. I also saw a Red-footed Falcon, a real rarity in this country, whilst on a bird-watch at another reserve recently and again it was good to see but I couldn't help noticing all those birders who spent at least a couple of hours standing and waiting to see this one bird whilst ignoring all the others around them in the reserve. The falcon was flying around the reserve anyway and I saw it three times without seeking it out - as well as about 30 other species. I couldn't quite see the point in wasting all that bird-watching time to 'twitch' a bird that was quite happy to be seen anyway.
I'm never comfortable with the idea of 'collecting' bird sightings in that way - sure I keep a life list with where I first saw a species but the first sighting of a common-enough bird is as good as the first sighting of a rare one. So too watching behaviour of familiar birds.
Not just birds either but other wildlife, animal and plant, scenery and simply 'atmosphere' - are important too.
I once spent several hours lazing against a builder on a hillside in the Highlands of Scotland watching nothing more exotic than wagtails and pipits and had a great time - soaking in the atmosphere and the peace.
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevikingr wrote:
I once spent several hours lazing against a [i]builder[/i] on a hillside in the Highlands of Scotland

really? Laughing Wink (just a little joke!)

Like I was very happy watching the young Grey Wagtail in the park the other day - it was unusual but still a bird I have seen lots of times! Oh and those Fieldfares!

I do get excited by a new bird tho!

Eagles Rule!

davevikingr

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - you know how it is - I would have lazed against a nearby boulder but I've found builders stay still for longer !
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still short two birds for the year. Messed up my schedule for the weekend, missed the group trip. Drove some 7-10km from my house to a park where they are not shooting animals. Walked 6km, found sparrows. They have mowed the useless fields just befoe winter. How stupid, the grass does not grow, they could mow it in spring.

Found
fox sparrow
field sparrow
swamp sparrow
brown thrasher
one red tailed hawk being mobbed
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove some 60 miles, twice to one spot to look for a shrike. No shrike. Two year birds at a lake.
199 Horned Grebe Podiceps auritus mustakurkku-uikku
200 Bonaparte's Gull Larus philadelphia kuusilokki
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no shrike. Trip leader report. We got Black Duck, only third for me.
Quote:
The WGNSS Saturday group began today at Teal Pond at Riverlands where we there large numbers of Hooded Mergansers and smaller numbers of other typical ducks such as Bufflehead, Mallards, Gadwall, Green-winged Teal, Amer. Widgeon, Pintail etc.. Heron Pond was partially frozen and there were large numbers of Mallards in the open water with a few other ducks including at least one Black Duck. Ellis Bay produced large flocks of Ruddy Ducks with Canvasbacks, Goldeneye, Horned Grebes, Pintails, and other ducks including Ring-necked Ducks, a couple of female Common Mergansers and a Redhead. At Lincoln-Shields there were three Common Loons and a couple of female Red-breasted Mergansers. There were the now usual 100+ Trumpter Swans and at least two Tundra Swans. Down by the frozen pools was a large mixed flock of small birds. Unfortunately, they refused to land close enough to be clearly visible, but there appeared to be a lot of Horned Larks and a number of Lapland Longspurs. One bird which flew over sounded like a Pipit. A trip Columbia Bottom produced several Harriers including a nice male. A couple of the cars got a quick look at the Northern Shrike in some weeds near the road, but it refused to sit up for the group.
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving home, saw a hawk on a telephone pole. It was just a red tail, sun going down. Enough light to hunt. I pulled in to the shopping center. It swooped a cross the road, picked off a rodent off a little piece of grass by the side walk. Took it to a light post by Office Max where it tore it apart. It was small enough to swallow whole, but maybe it was a mole with claws?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Birding Outings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: