The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

slug pellets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: slug pellets Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that if neighbours have put slug pellets on their gardens, the birds would maybe die from eating the pellets and from eating the slugs/snails which have eaten the pellets ? Sad

By using the bird-friendly pellets, are these problems eradicated ? Smile

Thanks Smile

Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't ! - Eleanor Roosevelt
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terra ..

I personally don't know much about this subject .. but there's an ongoing Forum discussion at the link below .. perhaps someone there can re-assure you ....

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/wildlife-gardening/26127-organic-slug-pellets.html

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: slug pellets Reply with quote

Thanks, Kev. Smile

I hadn't seen that before.

I read all through that thread. Snail Snail Snail Snail Snail

It seems everyone is rather confused about the whole pellets question. Sad

Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't ! - Eleanor Roosevelt
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite .. hence my saying I don't know too much about it ...

But we all know that Raptors have died by ingesting the poisons previously eaten by prey species .. so it would seem to follow that the same would apply to garden birds ...

I would suspect that if neighbours are using the more poisonous type of Slug pellets, there's not a whole lot you can do about it .. apart from appealing to their better natures, sensitivities etc .. and perhaps suggesting alternative methods (Beer traps & the like) ..

Good luck anyway ... Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is the build-up of poisons that is the problem, if say Thrushes ate numerous snails which had been killed by pellets, then eventually the build-up of poison in the bird would kill it - and then perhaps the fox that ate it - and so on.

We have idiot neighbours, who profess to like wildlife, and feed the birds, but they spray weedkiller everywhere, use slug pellets, and then try and chop down trees when birds are nesting in them Evil or Very Mad As Kev says not sure what you could do if your neighbours are using pellets. I just wish they would be banned - (pellets that is, not neighbours)........although on second thoughts............ Wink

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some information here - but I'm not sure that I believe it!

http://www.gardenseeker.com/slug_pellets.htm

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn .. That reminds me of that old Burl Ives song ... "There was an old lady, who swallowed a Fly" ... Wink

Your neighbours sound as if they could use some advice .. failing that .. cutting down tress whilst Birds are nesting is a clear breach of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 ...

Terra .. I know someone who works for the local Council & surrounds his Hoster pots with the Rocksalt used on the roads .. admittedly it does wash away but can be replaced ..

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure on this one either. I'm over run with slugs and snails and always have been. Years ago I used slug pellets but never once saw a dead bird in the garden.

However, I've changed my view since then and will never use slug pellets or any chemicals in the garden at all. I'm also concerned about the fate of the frogs/toads that eat them (slugs/snails that is - not the birds Rolling Eyes )

I'm don't think that manufacturers of said pellets would be agreeing that they're harmful and consequently reducing potential sales? Therefore I'm sceptical about their denial of cause of harm to other wildlife.

So - I shall continue to avoid using them and just keep pulling my hair out when I see all those "stalks" that were once lovely flowers Rolling Eyes

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: pellets and poisons Reply with quote

Thanks for that link, Strixaluco. Interesting and informative. Very Happy

As you say, how much do you believe ? Confused

According to that report we ought to be wearing protective clothing when we consume raspberries, coffee and celery. Laughing

terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: pulling hair out Reply with quote

Tricia, funny you should say ' pulling your hair out ' :

I read recently that putting human hair ( and I guess dogs' hair and the like )
around plants is one way of deterring slugs and snails.

However, not worth going bald for that cause, I reckon. Laughing

terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev. I might put a little salt around a few plants.
Thanks. I'd forgotten about that. Very Happy

Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terra ...

Grit or sharp sand is also worth trying ... apparently they don't like to cross that either .. or there's always "Budgie" grit (with minutely broken Oyster shells in it) available from Pet shops ..

Salt might do more harm to the plants after a while ...

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: budgie grit Reply with quote

Thanks again, Kev.
When I joined this forum, the very first post I read of yours made me realise you were an 'ideas' person. Very Happy

I have quite a lot of budgie grit, so I could experiment with some around my poor little campanula plant and see if it sends the slugs away. Very Happy

Just had a thought. Maybe the wild birds will take all the grit away ! Laughing

The birds often peck at the shingle in my dog run, and I presume it's because they want the grit and sandy pieces ?
Do wild birds like grit, just like budgies do ? I guess someone on the forum can answer that one for me please. Very Happy

terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Slugs and Red kites. Reply with quote

Did I hear right on BBC Breakfast show today? Very Happy

The footage showed Red kites and how well they are being established in Wales.

The comment was made that Red kites like eating SLUGS. Twisted Evil

If so. Bring it on. Let's encourage lots more Red kites. Laughing

This could be one answer to the gardeners' eternal slug battle. Laughing Wink

Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terra ..

Many Birds , especially those of the Pigeon/Dove family use grit as a digestion aid .. so it's entirely possible that some will be taken away .. but not that much I wouldn't have thought .. Wink

As for Red Kites ... you may find the following link of interest .. http://www.gigrin.co.uk/w/index.htm

Red Kites never totally died out in Wales, it being the last stronghold of the native Birds .. Re-introduction began in the 1960's with young Spanish Birds being brought over & housed on John Paul Getty's estate in Oxfordshire until they were old enough to be released into the Chilterns ...

So well did they do that young from the Chilterns sites were taken & housed on Lord Lascelle's Estate at Harewood House near Leeds & were released into Yorkshire ...

Again another success story in that young "Yorkshire" Birds were taken North to the Gateshead area & released there, where I believe successful breeding has once more taken place ...

There is also a small population in the Rockingham Forest area of Northamptonshire .. though I'm not sure of their history ..

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: