The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Photography whizz-kid's advice needed by Total Technophobe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Photography whizz-kid's advice needed by Total Technophobe Reply with quote

I'm a total technophobe Confused It's quite amazing that I've managed to learn about the internet etc. over the past year or so.

However I've not yet got to grips with photography in computers. Sad

I have a photo I would like to use as my Bigg Bird profile avatar. I have it filed on the laptop, and I know how to insert it into a microsoft word document, and then I can crop the edges.

However, I don't know how to provide that cropped photo suitable to be accepted by Bigg Bird. The forum appears to have loads of photography whizz-kids, so some advice would be welcome, please.

Hint : any reply containing words such as BYTE or PIXEL will definitely confuse me ! Confused Shocked Confused
Hanlou

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. For forums it's easiest to 'upload' the photograph from your computer to an internet based photo album. I.e - you need to have a copy of your photograph on the internet rather than on your own computer for people to see it.

I use Photobucket - accounts with them are free and all you need to do is open an account with them and then follow the links on your account to transfer photos from your computer to that account. Basically you need to find where the file is on your computer and get it on to Photobucket.

Don't worry about resizing your pic as once you've uploaded it you can resize it on the web. There's even an avatar size so you don't even have to guess at how much to reduce it by!

Then pick the [img] [/img] link from underneath your uploaded photo and cut and paste that into the avatar slot on your profile. Then hey presto! It should work.....

There's loads of FAQ and help topics on Photobucket if you're unsure. Or just ask! I'm no techy expert but I've picked up the basics being on different pet forums in order to show off cage pics, pet pics etc. Very Happy

Hope this helps a little!

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another option is to upload straight from your computer; as long as the picture (once resized) is no larger than 80 pixels wide and 80 pixels high, and it's file size no larger than 6KB. Then upload it to the forum by clicking on 'profile' near the top of the page and scroll down to the 'avatar control panel' , then click on 'browse' and find/select the file containing your picture

I know I've used those terms - pixels and KB (kilobytes), it's well worth looking them up on Google or Wikipedia to understand what they mean, perhaps looking up these too:
JPEG
GIF

for image editing, try Picasa2 or Paint.net (both free). Microsoft Word is a word processor for typing letters and things, it's not at all suitable for editing an image.

and if you're still stuck and cannot understand the terminology, there's always asking someone to do it for you !

good luck

terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
another option is to upload straight from your computer; as long as the picture (once resized) is no larger than 80 pixels wide and 80 pixels high, and it's file size no larger than 6KB. Then upload it to the forum by clicking on 'profile' near the top of the page and scroll down to the 'avatar control panel' , then click on 'browse' and find/select the file containing your picture

I know I've used those terms - pixels and KB (kilobytes), it's well worth looking them up on Google or Wikipedia to understand what they mean, perhaps looking up these too:
JPEG
GIF

for image editing, try Picasa2 or Paint.net (both free). Microsoft Word is a word processor for typing letters and things, it's not at all suitable for editing an image.

and if you're still stuck and cannot understand the terminology, there's always asking someone to do it for you !

good luck

Many thanks to Hannah and Martin for your advice. Very Happy

I decided that I would take more time to learn about photography and computers in the winter months when I have less outdoor work.

So, Martin has very kindly helped me with my avatar. I made life difficult for him by sending a tall image, whereas a square one fits the space much better. Shocked

Thank you so much Martin for your help. While contacting Martin it gave me a better chance to look at the2wrennies website - super photos. Smile
Martin

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's ok - and thanks for your comments !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: