The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Hair of the Dog
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Hair of the Dog Reply with quote

I wonder if inventive Kev will be the one to come up with an answer here:

Birds such as sparrows and bluetits like to take hair from my dogs to build their nests.

No, they don't actually swoop down and grab bits from the dogs' backs!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I roll up a bundle of hair and tie it round with string, hang it from a bush, and the birds peck away.

But using the bundle method, it soon falls to pieces and needs remaking.

I've tried putting the dog hair in various bird feeders made to contain nuts etc. but the birds won't take the hair from these. Sad

Any suggestions please on easy ways to display hair for the birds. I like to watch them peck at the hair bundle, so I don't want to just chuck the hair behind a bush ! Confused

Thanks.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you can see the terracotta container that I've used for several years:

http://forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=20417

I don't know if they are still available, but perhaps you could try a spot of DIY - though I should think you could find some sort of "bedding holder" on one of the many bird supplies dealers' websites.

Edited - there are alternative ideas for holders in some of the messages in the thread.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the dog's brush out earlier this year and let them take it straight off that, but now he's on Frontline I don't do it.

Before he was on Frontline I thought it might be a bad idea just in case he had fleas and I was unaware of it Question
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually bung it in one of those metal peanut feeders, tends to stop the wind from blowing it about, but is easily accessible for the birds.

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
I usually bung it in one of those metal peanut feeders, tends to stop the wind from blowing it about, but is easily accessible for the birds.

Thanks Dawn and Emma for your ideas. My garden birds won't take hair from the metal feeders. They seem to expect food in those ! Confused

The greenfinches have been pecking at the fur balls today. They arrive in pairs and one bird seems to stand on guard while the partner selects some hair for nesting. Smile

My best bet seems to be Strixaluco's terracotta globe. I've started searching for a place which sells these, but no luck yet. There are similar ones which are for birds to use as a home, but not those terracotta types with about ten holes in the sides.

If anyone knows where Strixaluco's terracotta globes are available, please let me know. Thanks. Very Happy
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terratoonie wrote:

If anyone knows where Strixaluco's terracotta globes are available, please let me know. Thanks. Very Happy

In her garden, but watch out, she's an ace shot!! Any time after 9pm should be ok, that's when the oldies go to bed! Twisted Evil Wink

terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
terratoonie wrote:

In her garden, but watch out, she's an ace shot!! Any time after 9pm should be ok, that's when the oldies go to bed! Twisted Evil Wink

It's 8.30pm so only half an hour to go.

I can move in under cover of darkness.
Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

I've a large chocolate Easter egg here which I forgot to eat. I'll hang that up in place of the globe, and nobody will spot the difference.

Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
terratoonie wrote:

With all the excitement of my baby thrushes, I forgot to say that back in June I managed to get a terracotta globe for holding bird bedding........and no, Dawn, I didn't steal it from Strixaluco Laughing

The globe has been hanging full of the sheep's wool with which it was supplied, but no takers. Sad

So today I pushed in some of the hair I had hand-stripped from my Welsh Terrier and, hey presto, sparrows descending on the globe and flying off with their beaks full of bedding !! Very Happy

Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, you would think they would go for some nice comfy sheeps wool. Any pics?

Can you come and hand strip our Border Terrier too please? Wink

Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terra ...

Check this link out .. it may be the answer to your query .. one purchase & then refill the net with your dog's hair .. job done .. Wink

http://www.haiths.com/product-Natural-Nesting-Material-NBALPACAFIBRE/

Bye fdor now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
Nice one, you would think they would go for some nice comfy sheeps wool. Any pics?

Can you come and hand strip our Border Terrier too please? Wink

Border Terriers are luvverly - but you already know that. I have quite a stock of hair I've stripped from my Welsh Terrier. If the recession bites much harder, methinks I could sell it as bird bedding Very Happy

Even if the profit margin is good, I guess we shouldn't rely too much on this or we'll end up with very bald dogs Sad

I'm not good on photos.... Martin kindly resized my avatar on Bigg Bird - what a tech wizard he is, and very helpful ! Applause

If the rain ever stops I'll try to take a picture or two ! Smile
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev wrote:
Hi Terra ...

Check this link out .. it may be the answer to your query .. one purchase & then refill the net with your dog's hair .. job done .. Wink

http://www.haiths.com/product-Natural-Nesting-Material-NBALPACAFIBRE/

Bye fdor now ..

Kev ..

Kev, this looks interesting. Smile You are full of good ideas ! Very Happy

A while back I did think of putting the dog's hair in those 'string bags' in which satsumas are sold, but I was worried the birds would get their feet caught in the mesh.

This mesh in your suggestion looks to be more robust.
Thanks for the idea. Very Happy

PS - I've never been called terra before. Quite like it ! Very Happy
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Terra .. glad you liked the idea ...

As for your name, stick an "M" on the end and you have the last part of my former Corp's motto .. "Per Mare Per Terram" .. "By Sea By Land" ...

Its always been a large part of the Commando "ethic" to be inventive & resourceful ... Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev wrote:
Hi again Terra .. glad you liked the idea ...

As for your name, stick an "M" on the end and you have the last part of my former Corp's motto .. "Per Mare Per Terram" .. "By Sea By Land" ...

Its always been a large part of the Commando "ethic" to be inventive & resourceful ... Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

I like to learn something new every day Smile

Per Mare Per Terram - great for part of the Corp's motto, and it
could also be a good quote for wildlife/birds etc - by sea, by land. Very Happy

What's the rest of the motto, or is it too long to quote on the forum ?

... and, yes, you are 'Inventive Kev' because 'M' is the capital letter of my real first name ! Surprised Laughing Wink
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terra ...

No, that is the full Motto .. but if you're interested the link below will explain things further ..

And, I'll admit .. I'd never thought about the connection as applied to Birds & Birders .. but you're right .. thanks .. Laughing

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/museumresearch/PDFs/The%20Crest,Colours,Beret,Nicknames%20&%20Prayers%20of%20the%20Royal%20Marines.pdf

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: