The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Cats
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Cats Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm new on this forum, so please excuse me if this has been asked before (I couldn't see a similar topic with a quick search), but does anyone have any suggestions how to humanely keep the neighbours' cats out of our garden?

We have quite a small garden, and are keen to encourage birds to visit us for food and nesting, but more birds unfortunately seem to attract more cats!! We're quite interested in an ultrasonic deterrent, but do these really work? They're certainly not the cheapest...

Thanks in advance,

Graeme
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graeme, welcome to the forum.

Is there a particular spot where the cat/cats sit? I put cuttings from a rambling rose bush where one of our neighbour's cats sit. I also tried chilli pepper, coffee and onion (none of which worked). The thorny stuff works though - but it only keeps him off his spot.

They really are a pain in the butt. I always say it, but I wish cat owners would realise what an utter nuisance their damn cats are. It's not just the stalking of birds which bothers me, but the fact that they crap in my garden too - I really don't appreciate having to clean up after someone else's pet.

We're currently in the process of being matched to a retired ex-racing greyhound. I pity the cat that dares come in my garden when he's with us. I have spicifically told them I don't need a 'cat-safe' one Twisted Evil I'm done with the cats here. I'm not interested in humane anymore Very Happy

Elizabeth tried one of the electronic cat deterents and, from memory, she didn't have much luck with it. I'm sure she'll post her experience with it as soon as she sees you post.

Good luck with your cat issues.
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of all sorts of weird and wonderful ways, but I'm not sure if any of them work - apparently you can buy elephant and lion poo to sprinkle round the garden, also smearing sticky stuff on the tops of fences, if that is the way the cats get in (chilli sauce etc).

We've found one of the best ways is to provide our son with a water gun - he can practise his stalking techniques; get some exercise and frighten the living daylights out of our neighbours nine cats Twisted Evil they don't often come in our garden anymore Laughing

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an electronic deterrent, and find that it works with some cats. They still come through the garden, but they hurry along rather than loitering. If a cat likes to sit in a particular place, try spraying a mixture of Jeyes' Fluid and water around the spot I've found that cats don't like the smell of it, and won't sit where they might get it on their coats (humans find it fairly resistible as well, though, so use sparingy!)
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
I've heard of all sorts of weird and wonderful ways, but I'm not sure if any of them work - apparently you can buy elephant and lion poo to sprinkle round the garden,

I used to work at a zoo - and tried lots of different poo... none of them worked for me. Not even lion or tiger.
Graeme

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. We've heard of the poo solution too...I always find the idea that the scent of big cat poop would act as the ultimate deterrent quite funny. Unless they've met one how would they know, or does it smell of bigness? Very Happy

Unfortunately we're the only household nearby that doesn't have a cat, so the local cats tend to treat our garden like the local latrines...great fun for gardening Evil or Very Mad

The only place I really mind the cats is around the bird feeding station we have. They're often sat there, patiently waiting...and squishing the daffodils! We might have a go at the prickly solution around the feeder, and get a sonic jobby in the hope that it keeps the cats away in general. We have a small garden, so fingers crossed.

Any other ideas would be welcome. Thinking about it, we don't want to scare other wildlife away during the night. Perhaps a time-switch would solve that?
Grandma_Fizzy

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graeme... I too have tried the electronic deterrent. It worked ok for a week or so then all was back to normal with the feline stalkers. I prefer the water technique it is quite theaputic when you get a direct hit Twisted Evil A couple of other things I have tried are used T-Bags sprinkled with Olbas Oil placed around the garden and also Mothballs placed on the soil. Unfortunately all of my options can work out quite costly so my vote would have to be with the water pistol Wink Laughing

Life isn't about the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away. ANONYMOUS
Joe

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the pun, Graeme, but it's a cat and mouse game and trying to keep one step ahead is difficult.

Both my neighbours have cats (4 in all), and I've just about managed to keep them out of the garden during daylight hours now. Garden mesh, orange peel, holly leaves, pepper, barbecue sticks in soft earth, even the visual threat of water.

You have to use a combination of tactics.

One thing that works for me if you use i-Catcher, is to connect some small speakers up where they enter the garden, and use the audio alert with the software. When the camera senses motion, it triggers a 'dog bark' through the speakers. It works! Wink

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
One thing that works for me if you use i-Catcher, is to connect some small speakers up where they enter the garden, and use the audio alert with the software. When the camera senses motion, it triggers a 'dog bark' through the speakers. It works! Wink

Roll on the floor laughing

Brilliant!

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant totally humane and totally efective!! Laughing
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cats Reply with quote

Graeme wrote:
We have quite a small garden, and are keen to encourage birds to visit us for food and nesting, but more birds unfortunately seem to attract more cats!! We're quite interested in an ultrasonic deterrent, but do these really work? They're certainly not the cheapest... Thanks in advance,

Graeme

We tried one from Catwatch, but I sent it back within the 90 days, and got a refund.

Our garden is not very big (about 55' X 55'), but we have a lot of low growing plants and shrubs, so the cats from next door can come in and sneak into the garden among these without triggering the alarm. However on one occasion when a cat was lurking, I managed to creep out without disturbing it and triggered the alarm. I rather hoped to hear a frantic scrabbling of claws up a fence, but I heard no sound of a retreating cat.

The RSPB says this:

The CATWatch deterrent is endorsed by the RSPB and reduces cat visits by up to 33%.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/catdeterrents.asp

If you don't mind paying for carriage both ways, why not give one a try - it might just help. Fingers crossed (Though a reduction of up to 33% in cat visits doesn't sound too good).

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing is that you have to be patient with the deterrent it might take up to three months for the local cat population to change their habits and territories. I had a cat that sat directly in front of it when I first installed it, but he got fed up of the row eventually. I never see him in my back garden now, although he does sometimes sit on my front wall looking handsome (for everyone to make a fuss of as they walk past!) I only see one cat going through the garden on a regular basis, but she's an old lady and never takes any notice of the birds anyway.

I certainly haven't had any casualties since I got the deterrent, and there's now no cat-poo around either. They don't work for everyone, but they are good if they do.

Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only real deterrent is a dog.

I love Joe's post terrific!

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
pauco

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats, they are a bit like a woman, they just dont like water, try to get a woman near a kitchen sink! Rolling Eyes

Paul
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauco wrote:
Cats, they are a bit like a woman, they just dont like water, try to get a woman near a kitchen sink! Rolling Eyes

I do some of my best garden watching from there! Wink

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: