The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Bargains at Wilkinsons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Bargains at Wilkinsons Reply with quote

For those fortunate enough to have a Wilkinsons store near them, they are currently doing some real bargains on wild bird food, Nature's Feast products, eg the large tubs of dried mealworms, (which were selling in Tescos this year for 5.99) are 2, Tubs of 50 Fatballs for 6 or two packs of 4 balls for 1, Pack of Robin & Songbird blend with seeds and insects, for 2, plus lots of other goodies. Their feeders are really bargain prices too. I spent 21 altogether! Shocked

In Wales, if the cows are laying down, it's going to rain.
If they are standing up, it is raining. Wink

Last edited by Janice on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jan, I usually get my sunflower seeds from there, I'll have a look at the weekend.

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Jeremy

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in my local Wilkinsons today (Basingstoke), and they had some stuff I'd not seen in there before - a couple of new seed mixes (one for songbirds, one for seed eaters, 2 per bag, not sure about the weight), and fruit/berry suet pellets (also 2 per bag) as well as the usual insect ones at 2.50 per bag).
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went again today and did another huge bird food shop. One of the best bargains is the bags of sunflower hearts, which work out at 1.25 a kilo - cheaper than buying a 13kg sack now from my other supplier. They are also doing Bill Oddie seed blends at sale prices too.

FeedTheBirds

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they're not selling at those prices now. If you can buy sunflower hearts for that price, then fill your boots - they're going up in price all the time!
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FeedTheBirds wrote:
I bet they're not selling at those prices now. If you can buy sunflower hearts for that price, then fill your boots - they're going up in price all the time!

The last time I bought a sack of hearts (2 months ago) at a local animal foods warehouse it cost 25.35 for 22.36 kilo - ie about 1.13 per kilo. They also sell them loose though I don't know what they cost. I'll be back there again before long - I wonder what the price will be then???

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closer to 30 I should imagine - and possibly even more.
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:
FeedTheBirds wrote:

The last time I bought a sack of hearts (2 months ago) at a local animal foods warehouse it cost 25.35 for 22.36 kilo - ie about 1.13 per kilo. They also sell them loose though I don't know what they cost. I'll be back there again before long - I wonder what the price will be then???

My last lot at the local pet store was 20.25 for 15 kgs. about 1.35 per kilo. There's been two price increases in the last few months, going up from 16.? to 18.50 and to current price of 20.25

Yours work about cheaper Elizabeth on a per kilo basis.

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
FeedTheBirds

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even that's a pretty good price the way things are going. Get ready for some pet shops going down the pan!
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 kilo sack of Bucktons Wild Bird seed has gone up from 8.50 to 12.50 in the last few months. One pet shop that I use for most of my stuff now quoted me 14.25 was the best she could do on it. Sad Getting ridiculous now, I get through a sack about every 12 days. Last time I bought Sunflower hearts (don't get them from Wilkos anymore, too expensive) it was 16.25 for 13 kilos, that was about 3 weeks ago.

Peanuts are the worst thing now though. Stupid prices but I have managed to find somewhere to get 20kilos for 20. Loose they are about 1.56 a kilo. I heard it was because the Chinese arent exporting any more, all peanuts are going to make oil, don't know how true that is though.

FeedTheBirds

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true. The situation is pretty dire really!
The prices on economy wild bird mixes may ease slightly if the wheat harvest is decent, but anything containing sunflower will probably continue to rise. Thing is, we've actually had it too easy in the last few years. Prices I'm paying now are actually similar to 10 years ago!
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pound Land is good too they sell Bill Oddie supplies from Haiths I bought 5 bags of sunflower seeds for 5 as they were 1 each
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know why the prices of sunflower hearts have gone up so much, FeedTheBirds? Is it because the seeds are being diverted to other uses, or is it just a case of a bad harvest?
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit - according to my local supplier it's because of lack of seeds and crops generally. Not only here in the UK but on the Continent as well.

This also seems to be having the same effect on (human) products as well. i.e. bread has gone up significantly over the last few weeks.

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local pet food shop has had to put his price up by 4 on sunflower hearts.

We're currently paying 32 for 50lb/22.68kg. It was 28 before.

I'm really not interested in going anywhere else, though. I love his shop so much that I just won't go anywhere else. We get all the stuff for the dog from there too as he's so much cheaper than anywhere else. And I tend to buy in bulk so it's even cheaper. I've compared prices with Acorn Pets, Pets at Home and garden centres. They are such a rip-off it's unbelievable.

I'm not bothered about the 4 because of the savings I make elsewhere in the shop. And a 50lb sack is lasting a couple of months now, so it's not going to break the bank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: