The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Upton Warren, Worcestershire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drachenfach

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Upton Warren, Worcestershire Reply with quote

Worcestershire, being a landlocked county, would not feature highly on most birders' 'lists of places to see good waders'. How wrong they are!

Upton Warren is owned and run by the Worcs Wildlife Trust It's based around a sequence of saline pools, formed due to underground salt reserves, and it attracts all sorts of things, including the odd rarity. Most of the records end up on this site, which also has some good maps of the area.

The reserve is split into two halves- the moor pools to the north, and the flashes to the south.

The moor pools are deep, fringed with thick stands of reeds. Whenever I've visited the place has been heaving with Great Crested Grebes, which are some of my favourite birds. Other speciailities include Cormorants, BH Gullst this time of year, masses of swifts and swallow, with some fabulous views as they skim over the water. Masses of sedge warblers in the reeds, the odd Cetti's bellowing away, and the Bitterns are there when I am not. Several nice, well-kept hides, with great views of the terrain.

The flashes are arguably more spectacular, being shallow saline pools, pocked with dozens of little islands that passing waders just can't resist. For the last few years Avocets have bred there- about 14 birds on the site this year, comprising two successful broods. There are always a few Redshank, resident Lapwings, nesting LR Plovers, and an ever-changing parade of ducks.

Winter and passage migration sees a much greater range of waders, mainly small sandpipers, with the odd yank dropping in, and the occasional wrecked seabird.

My life list has gone up by 25% since finding this place. I cannot reccommend it highly enough, and entrance is free to members of any county wildlife trust (which i also highly reccommend).
Pete

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not somewhere I've been but sounds good. And as I'm in the area next week Very Happy

Its called the Christopher Cadbury reserve at Upton Warren these days.

http://www.worcswildlifetrust.co.uk/index.php?section=places%3Areserves&reserveid=365

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com
Drachenfach

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that threw us as well, since the signs on the reserve don't really mention that.

If you are going, I reccommend the maps on the Worcestershire birding site as being the best to get you there, and remember the reserve is in two halves.

Have you been to Grimley workings or Bittell Reservoirs? They're both county hotspots for rarities, though I haven't yet had a chance to go, I believe the details are on the birding site as before.
Pauline W

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but I just had to recommend it too. I last visited in August this year and was lucky enough to see a bittern. I didn't get any pictures of it but other people in the hide did, they had posh cameras and digiscopes. I did get photos of a little egret, lapwings, sandpiper etc. Well worth a visit.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to flag an old thread but just to let you all know will be visiting this place (Upton Warren) today 11th May 2012 and will update on return looks a great little place .

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: upton warren Reply with quote

Have a great day Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Places to Visit All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: