The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Starling Webcam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mybitoftheplanet

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Starling Webcam Reply with quote

Just a note to let people know that I have just set up a webcam to monitor a pair of Starlings that have started nest-building in one of a pair of boxes on the North facing wall of my house. At the moment, most activity takes place between first light and about 10am and then between around 5pm and dusk, with at least one roosting in the box.

Both boxes are fitted with cameras and the webcam may be switched between them as and when developments suggest. The cameras are B/W, and there is no artificial lighting so images will only be visible during UK daylight hours.

To get more information about the Starlings and their progress, visit my nestbox diary

mybitoftheplanet

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starling Webcam Reply with quote

mybitoftheplanet wrote:

To get more information about the Starlings and their progress, visit my nestbox diary

JUst an update to let you know that the first egg has appeared today, just in time for Easter!

Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, David, they look as if they've been busy! Very Happy
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Starling Webcam Reply with quote

mybitoftheplanet wrote:
mybitoftheplanet wrote:

JUst an update to let you know that the first egg has appeared today, just in time for Easter!

Congratulations David. I've just looked in the appropriate reference book, and apparently starlings usually produce 5-7 eggs, rarely 4-9. It also says that the breeding season begins mid-April (though exceptionally at other times) and they are single or double brooded).

I wonder if we should start a "book" on how many eggs there will be? Laughing

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starling Webcam Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:

Congratulations David. I've just looked in the appropriate reference book, and apparently starlings usually produce 5-7 eggs, rarely 4-9. It also says that the breeding season begins mid-April (though exceptionally at other times) and they are single or double brooded).

I wonder if we should start a "book" on how many eggs there will be? Laughing

Thanks Elizabeth,

I'm hoping that this Starling doesn't set any records as I would like to see her chicks fledge before the House Martins get started! Obviously the timings are approximate, but it seems that hatching occurs after about 11 days (21-23 April, assuming 5-7 eggs, and counting from when the last egg is laid?). Then, fledging occurs in 21 days time, which takes us to around 11-13 May.

That could mean the chicks leaving after the House Martins are due to return but before they start nesting. With cameras in all three of the Martin nests this time, I am keeping my fingers tightly crossed that they will come back. Assuming that they do, and on the basis that they have two broods again, that webcam will continue right through until they leave in September.

There is always a slim chance that things could be complicated should the Swifts find the boxes put up for them - then the Martins will have to share the webcam! That is a bonus with a low possibility of success, but the cameras will be on, just in case.

I hope all goes well for your nestboxes. My Tit box remains empty at the moment, despite interest shown by a Great Tit pair over the last few months.

Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all those cameras it must take up a great deal of your time Laughing

I've been watching Starlings collecting nesting material from my garden. Any twigs that I've pruned from the shrubs I've left lying around and Starlings, Magpies and Blackbirds seem to like them.

The Starling has always flown over the house with a beakful of twigs etc. They are definitely nesting in the eaves of the house opposite where they nested last year. I think they've probably been building the nest over the last three days.

Now I know they're there it's going to be great keeping on eye on things Very Happy

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
mybitoftheplanet

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Starling Webcam Reply with quote

mybitoftheplanet wrote:
mybitoftheplanet wrote:

Hatching has begun. Ten days after the sixth egg was laid, the first chick hatched at 9.52am

janine13

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read through your nestbox diary David, so exciting! I love starlings even though they are nuisance birds here.
Will definitely check out the webcam during daylight!

My photos and blog: (New Site!)
http://www.janine-images.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Webcams All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: