The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

BBF Photo Album SP2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> FAQ and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Administrator
Site Admin

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: BBF Photo Album SP2 Reply with quote

I have just released a new update to BBF in the form of a major update to the album. This is the biggest update to the forum since the album was originally released and the biggest update using all my own code.

Here is a list of the biggest changes to the album. There are many minor updates and fixes which I will not mention and many others internal to the running of the forum you will probably be unaware of:
  • More consistency between album and main forum screens.
  • User's pictures showing on their profile screen.
  • Ability to move pictures to different categories and personal albums.
  • Ability to see all pictures posted by a single user.
  • Pictures are auto reduced in size if they are larger than the forum limits.
  • Ability to rotate pictures once uploaded.
  • Ability to display thumbnails or pictures from the album in the main forum.
  • Load pictures directly into the album as an alternative to using an attachment so the picture can be viewed in more than just a single post.
My main aim was to better integrate the album into the main forum making it more accesible and to make it easier to use for people who are not confident editing pictures prior to upload. It should be possible to upload pictures direct after download from a camera without touching them on the computer first.

There are a few points to note:
  1. It takes longer to upload a large picture.
  2. There are browser limits which can also affect uploading large files.
  3. Not all pictures can be reduced in size. A message will be given when this is the case.
Saying this, I have not had a problem uploading any of the pictures direct from my 7 megapixel IXUS camera during testing and they could be shrunk and rotated without trouble.

I have tried my best to test all the new code so I hope there will not be trouble but please let me know if you find anything which does not work as it should and I will try to address this as soon as I can.

I will add some more guides on the new features in the next few days which should make things easier to understand and use. Referencing pictures from the album in posts (which uses bbcode) will probably require a bit of explanation so please be patient until these are written.

Lastly, due to the performance and connection problems we have experienced recently I used this opportunity to move to a database running on a different server. I hope that this will noticably improve the performance of the forum overall.

John
nicola123

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wren
Wren
Poster: nicola123, viewed 103 Time(s)
[/album]

Hmm it removed the text I had written.

Anyway I said I was pleased as I am very lazy at resizing my photos for different places. So this is great for me!! Once they are on blog I can add some here too.

Think I understand the code part, but only one thing, it removed the original text I had put..

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again thank you John and very well done Very Happy

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
gasteropod

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicola123 wrote:

Hmm it removed the text I had written.

Anyway I said I was pleased as I am very lazy at resizing my photos for different places. So this is great for me!! Once they are on blog I can add some here too.

Think I understand the code part, but only one thing, it removed the original text I had put..

Where did you put this text? I have not seen any text lost and this surprises me a little since we replace the album code with the picture and do not modify anything entered.

One point to note is that although the picture title is displayed below the picture, the description is left in the album and not shown here. Maybe this is the lost text you refer to?

Things should be a little clearer once I have had time to write a guide to using this.

nicola123

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the text that you see on the post was the text that I had written, I then put a photo on, pressed submit then it went. I would well imagine that it is something that I did wrong Embarassed

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John, for all your hard work 'behind the scenes'. The site looks great, and it must have been quite a big job to add all these extra functions.

(Lovely wren, too, Nicola!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> FAQ and Announcements All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: