The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

RSPB reserve Old Moor near Barnsley.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marriottmr wrote:
Thanks Wendy - is Fairburn the place up near Castleford? Would love to see a Bittern. Would also love to see a bearded tit, at both my recent visits to Minsmere and Blacktoft I was told to expect them and didn't. Anticipation makes it all worth more though...

Mike

april-june best for bitterns at minsmere.

beardies requires a still day. at titchwell last year on june 25th the youngsters were perched up early waiting for photographers

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com
marriottmr

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pete - will plan my next trip to Dad accordingly!

Mike
Wendy Woo

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Im not very good at geography Smile All I know is it took about 6 hours to get there from my home town. Once there I only left the site to work at the Fairburn site for a day. Wish I'd had a digital camera in those days, took loads of aps photos but cant scan them in to show you. Im a very newbie techie Smile
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re .... RSPB Fairburn Ings ( just off the A1) .. below is a link to the reserve ... and another to the Yorks Wildlife Trust reserve at Potteric Carr (close to Doncaster) .. both sites are well worth visiting if in the West or South Yorks areas

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/f/fairburnings/index.asp

http://www.potteric-carr.org.uk/

Bye for now,

Kev ...
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Return visit Reply with quote

Well we did finally make it back...what a glorious day it was...it was wonderful weather for watching birds and the wild flowers and insect life were well worth the visit too
Black headed gulls, Bull finch, Canada geese with goslings,coot, cormorants (the surprise spot for us today)heron,lapwings, mallard,nuthatch( this surprised the centre staff) robin, house sparrow were just some that we saw.
There were blue butterflies, not sure which yet, and pond skaters and black fly and host of beautiful wild flowers...I was told that so far no one had seen sight of an orchid this year . The whole site was flooded last year and this was thought to be a possible cause. We thought it odd too because when we looked at another site in Yorkshire where we found orchids last year, this year we found none. But there was yellow rattle, tufted vetch,hop trefoil, red clover, pink roses, white roses and a lot I couldn't ID.
The cafe/restaurant was just as good as last year.
It was so much more than just a birding event for us.
Swallowing a big one
Swallowing a big one
Poster: JohnD, viewed 48 Time(s)

Cormorants (the white fronted ones are juveniles)
Cormorants (the white fronted ones are juveniles)
Poster: JohnD, viewed 56 Time(s)
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Old moor revisited Reply with quote

Having re read the whole of the thread before posting, had another super day at Old moor on Friday.
It was really good in one of the hides to find there was one bird buff who didn't mind at all sharing what he knew with some of us who knew far less than he did, quite a contrast from the sneers I found on the first visit.
Our first spot was a pair of tufted ducks with their brilliant shining yellow eyes.....pointed the camera at them and then one went and as I watched the other took off....panned with the camera...will try and post the results.
WE love to watch herons, and there were green and golden plovers in abundance. I hadn't seen golden plovers before. It was another lovely day out which we finished off with a visit to the Anglers Country Park near Ryhill south of Wakefield. A wonderful visitors centre there for kids to explore and a couple of hides....more Cormorants and Heron there.I am going to have to start keeping records of what I see where....the different visits are beginning to blur ...
Tufted Duck
Tufted Duck
Poster: JohnD, viewed 49 Time(s)

tufted duck taking off -
tufted duck taking off -
Poster: JohnD, viewed 41 Time(s)

Little Egret at Old Moor
Little Egret at Old Moor
Poster: JohnD, viewed 35 Time(s)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Places to Visit All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: