The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Woodpeckers

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Snowy



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 395
Location: Staffordshire

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Woodpeckers Reply with quote

Carry a stone to tap on the trees during the breeding season to bring the Male Great Spotted Woodpecker in to view, repeated tapping on the trees in the wood will make a Male GSW think there is another male on his territory

Snowy.
Back to top
Kit



Joined: 25 Sep 2005
Posts: 2547
Location: Nottingham

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that done a couple of times on TV programmes, and it worked really well but what they failed to show you were the packs of school-dodging 10-year-olds on mountain bikes who seem to inhabit all public open spaces, and who assume that anyone even pausing to look at a bird is a complete nutter. I don't know what our wisecracking locals would do if they saw someone tapping trees with stones... it would be worth trying, if I had a video camera! Laughing Laughing
_________________
>>>
Kitty
>>>
Back to top
Snowy



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 395
Location: Staffordshire

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit wrote:
I've seen that done a couple of times on TV programmes, and it worked really well but what they failed to show you were the packs of school-dodging 10-year-olds on mountain bikes who seem to inhabit all public open spaces, and who assume that anyone even pausing to look at a bird is a complete nutter. I don't know what our wisecracking locals would do if they saw someone tapping trees with stones... it would be worth trying, if I had a video camera! Laughing Laughing
I am up early in the morning for my birding so miss all the bratts & idiots

Snowy.
Back to top
Tricia



Joined: 08 Apr 2005
Posts: 3579
Location: Surrey

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowy wrote:
Kit wrote:
I've seen that done a couple of times on TV programmes, and it worked really well but what they failed to show you were the packs of school-dodging 10-year-olds on mountain bikes who seem to inhabit all public open spaces, and who assume that anyone even pausing to look at a bird is a complete nutter. I don't know what our wisecracking locals would do if they saw someone tapping trees with stones... it would be worth trying, if I had a video camera! Laughing Laughing
I am up early in the morning for my birding so miss all the bratts & idiots

Snowy.


How early is early?

_________________
Tricia
What is this life if full of care, We have no time to stand and stare?

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
Back to top
Snowy



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 395
Location: Staffordshire

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricia wrote:
Snowy wrote:
Kit wrote:
I've seen that done a couple of times on TV programmes, and it worked really well but what they failed to show you were the packs of school-dodging 10-year-olds on mountain bikes who seem to inhabit all public open spaces, and who assume that anyone even pausing to look at a bird is a complete nutter. I don't know what our wisecracking locals would do if they saw someone tapping trees with stones... it would be worth trying, if I had a video camera! Laughing Laughing
I am up early in the morning for my birding so miss all the bratts & idiots

Snowy.


How early is early?
I am up now, Summer time about 5:00 am, Winter as soon as it is light.
Back to top
Karwin



Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 2554
Location: 61N25E

finland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During breeding season, if you tap a tree with large woodpecker hole or nestbox (and your geographical position is right), you get a good view of tengmalm's owl in case it has occupied the nest.

When you hear a black woodpecker in a distance, you always get it flying right overhead when you mimic its whistling.

_________________
Save the karri.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, subGreen style by ktauber
BBF 1.18.4 integration and modification © 2005, 2011 gasteropod