The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Starling proof feeders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Islander

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Starling proof feeders Reply with quote

HELP, Does anyone know of a feeder that will prevent Starlings stealing all
the food and chasing away all the smaller birds. We don't mind them in
reasonable numbers but around here we're inundated with them, if we don't
find a solution soon the cost of birdfood will bankrupt us!! :(
Martin

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sympathize with your situation as the last couple of years we've had Starling trouble too; have stopped using bird tables or ground tables, and no hanging coconuts or fat cakes unless they are cage protected, the majority of feeders we use now are just seed feeders - and it seems to be working so far, the Starlings get very frustrated and bully other birds away at first even though they can't use the feeders, but then they must eat to survive so they quickly go somewhere else

unfortunately it may mean we don't get any ground feeding birds like blackbirds, thrushes etc but it's the lesser of the two evils...

Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments are the same as Martin's - nearly all the seed feeders have "guardians". My peanut feeders are all pressed steel (can't find an example but will post it here if I do) to prevent squirrels wrecking them. Don't mind the little furry creatures eating peanuts but I do object to useless feeders.

I've noticed that the starlings tend to go for peanuts rather than seed/sunflower hearts though.

I do use a ground feeder, but this is in a cage. So far only the very young starlings have managed to get in - so effective most of the but not in spring!

This is the one I have - the smaller mesh though!

http://www.jacobijayne.co.uk/birds_wild-life_shop.php?page=ACCESSORY&type=groundfeedergua&PHPSESSID=051cb0dda5e1b0770519194a9e3b7943

I've also found the following: http://www.haiths.com/product-Garden-Feeding-Haven-bfmeriphaven/

Good luck

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Starling proof feeders Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
HELP, Does anyone know of a feeder that will prevent Starlings stealing all
the food and chasing away all the smaller birds. We don't mind them in
reasonable numbers ...... Sad

I love to see starlings, the do tend to go for the peanuts rather than the mixed seed or the sunflower hearts but I have seen them go for both..... after years without starlings I'm not going to complain though the ground nesting cages look good if we find we lose the small birds.......added a long tailed tit to my Meltham list yesterday.... and we get gold finches , blue tits and coal tits regularly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: