The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Buddleia Bush

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siskin

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Buddleia Bush Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a buddleia bush in my garden, and during last year's late frosts the green growth died back, but then regrew. Should I bring the bush indoors this year? It is only tiny, but I really want it to flourish next year for the butterflies.

Thanks,

Natalie
pauco

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi siskin, i am no expert on plants, but if as you say its so small, cant do any harm indoors for the winter and it will be nice and fresh for next spring. Hopefully someone will give you expert advice soon. Good luck with the Butterflies.

Paul
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert either, but buddleia is a weed round here! It self-seeds in every nook and cranny, even between bricks on house walls. I imagine it'd be pretty hard to kill I think it's one of those that does just die down after the frost and then reappear next year.

It's amazing how many butterflies do visit even the smallest buddleia shrubs. I had one sprouting out of the front wall of the house a few years ago, and I was loathe to cut it down because I got a wonderful view of all sorts of butterflies feeding on the nectar right outside my sitting-room window. It had to go, sadly, because it was bridging the damp course, but I do have a big one in the back garden anyway. I just have to walk a bit further to see the visitors! Very Happy

ornithopod

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddleias are hardy deciduous shrubs which need to be pruned back hard in the winter as they flower in the summer on new growth produced in the spring. They thrive on benign neglect rather than on being dug up each year!

See http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_buddleja_buddleia.htm

Our Bluetit Diary can be found at http://www.biggonline.co.uk
mrs fish

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut mine right back in the spring as I like to leave the seeds for the birds. You don't have to bring it in for the winter, it might not grow very big in a pot though.

To-day is the first day of the rest of your life. Enjoy it!
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this, I was wondering what to do with my one, it's gone very straggly and hardly had any flowers this year, I didn't know you had to be that harsh with the pruning, last year I just dead headed. Will have a good old chop in the spring then. Very Happy

In Wales, if the cows are laying down, it's going to rain.
If they are standing up, it is raining. Wink
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got four buddleias in the garden. Two davidii and two alternifolias (which I am growing into weeping trees so I don't prune them yet).

I cut the two bushes back hard in the spring, just before the new growth starts. I leave them through the winter as they provide good cover for the smaller birds when they are spooked from the feeding station (particularly the sparrows and tits).

I noticed one of my neighbours has one, and because they don't cut it back at all it's really straggly with few flowers - but it's also huge and likely to get out of control.

Cutting them back hard each spring will keep the size in check, but at the same time they'll grow nice and strong and produce lots of flowers.
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has already been said, I cut mine back hard in Spring and have many more flowers as a result.

Buddleia's, in my view, are almost indestructible.

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
mrs fish

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this year there has never been a dull moment on the buddleia, butterflies all day, then a half hour break until numerous moths appeared, everyone should have one Smile

To-day is the first day of the rest of your life. Enjoy it!
Siskin

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddleia is only a tiny bush at the moment as I bought it from Wilko's this gone spring, and has only produced two of the flowers yet. Unfortunately, this year it was hidden by my other plants and the poppies so the butterflies did not notice it, but I will cut it back hard and see what wonders it does for the wildlife garden next year. Thanks for the advice!

Natalie
badgerwatcher

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have large buddleia bushes which I was going to cut back when the leaves fell, until I realised that so many birds shelter in it and its ivy and russian vine petticoats. I've now hung feeders inside the clumps, and it is constantly full of dunnocks, goldfinches, greenfinches, bluetits and great-tits. There were some other birds when we first moved here at the end of September, which may have been wheatears or spotted flycatchers, but they left soon after we arrived, so I didn't get time to identify them. I'm looking forward to their return.
As we have the occasional sparrow hawk, I've put huge numbers of bird feeders inside every leafless bush and shrub. The birds have been able to shelter from the strong winds in safety, and by the time the leaves grow back, I will remember where I hung the feeders, so can continue to fill them! Laughing
Geraldine

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Budleas Reply with quote

I quite agree with those who say cut the budleas back hard, but if you have other plants trailing through them, be careful not to cut them so they are totally hidden under the planting, I lost one of mine because it didn't get enough light, because I did cut too hard back and the plant got lost in the undergrowth which it failed to get above again! I was rather sad as it was not one of the weed types, this was an unusual pink one with extra large heads of flowers, about three times larger than the Davidii varieties flower spikes, and I never knew it was so unusual until I lost it!

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut mine back hard each spring too, certianly produces many more flowers that way, plus stops it from taking over the whole garden. Its a white variety and very pretty in summer

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've forgotten to do mine this year ...

Is it too late or should I still do it?

Edit:

Found the answer. Seems I did it at the end of March last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: