The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

The skins for this forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: The skins for this forum Reply with quote

I think that's the right term. Does anyone else have a problem with the scroll bit down the side of this, because it is so pale green that you can't see where it is? Or am I going blind as well as stupid! I can never position the mouse in the right place to find the bar bit to scroll down the page, it's just trial and error. Is there anyway of making it darker, or changing the colour of the display at all, or is it just green and lump it! Laughing

I wish it were the same shade of green as the bar across the top, or even the writing which says The Bigg Bird Forum, then I would be able to see it.

In Wales, if the cows are laying down, it's going to rain.
If they are standing up, it is raining. Wink
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Jan, looked at both your technical things, but I don't know either. Think My scroller bars are big blue jobbies!
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit wrote:
Sorry, Jan, looked at both your technical things, but I don't know either. Think My scroller bars are big blue jobbies!

That's really weird because I was about to post it must be because you are on apple, but then did a screen capture to show you mine, and in the capture, it shows the scroller bars in dark blue too! It certainly isnt now when I am typing this, I can't see where it is at all.

I don't use a scroller wheel I'm afraid, I can't get on with them, in fact I have immense trouble getting on with any mouse at the moment, I hate the one on my touchpad on the laptop, I hate the optical cordless one I have just wasted my money on, and I hate the USB wired one I have too! There's no pleasing me I guess.

Perhaps John can shed some light as to why in a screen capture is shows it as blue, but on the normal screen, its pale green? Confused

Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I don't use a scroller wheel I'm afraid, I can't get on with them

You don't actually have to roll the wheel if you press down on the wheel thingie, you should get a different cursor showing, and be able to move the page up and down by moving the mouse up and down (it's easier to do than to explain!) Smile

Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit wrote:
Janice wrote:
I don't use a scroller wheel I'm afraid, I can't get on with them

You don't actually have to roll the wheel if you press down on the wheel thingie, you should get a different cursor showing, and be able to move the page up and down by moving the mouse up and down (it's easier to do than to explain!) Smile

Lol, I've just been trying to practice it, but how the hell do you stop it??? It just flies down the page and you can't stop where you want! There's no hope for me I think. Laughing

Hampshire Hogg

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Janice,

My scroll bar is a silvery grey and is easily seen. Just a thought ! is your monitor picture slightly too large for the screen area. On my display the scroll bar is hard up against the right edge of the screen and if the screen is enlarged slightly most of it will disappear. It would still work when sensed by the mouse but would be very hard to see.
Good Luck,
John.
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just ask what browsers are you using? Maybe it's something to do with the one I use?

It's not because the window is too big for the screen, I've got a widescreen laptop, but I mainly have the browser window about two thirds of the width, so that I can have the webcams for the hedgehogs down the left side.

Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hampshire Hogg wrote:
My scroll bar is a silvery grey and is easily seen.

Ah! That brings back a memory, thanks John. In XP, you can change the appearance of all your windows there's a kind of colour scheme thing, where you choose from things like Classic Windows, Silver Steel, etc (I'm making the names up because I haven't done it for two years, but you get the idea). It'll be somewhere in Settings - perhaps Displays or Monitors or something? Have a play around, if I found it without really knowing my way around Windows, you probably can. [Edit: that sounds vaguely insulting on re-reading it, but it wasn't meant that way!]

On the fast-moving scroller thingie I think you have to keep it pressed down rather than letting go. I think!! Laughing

Last edited by Kit on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha, I've just answered my own question. I've just opened up this thread in Firefox, and hey presto - a dark blue scroll bar. It must be my browser then. I am loathe to stop using it though because it stops a multitude of pop-ups and ads on other forums and quizzes that I do. Hmm, maybe I shall just use firefox for my blog and now BBF! Very Happy

ornithopod

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 screens on my PC and at the moment I am looking at BBF using IE v7 on one and Firefox v1 on the other. The scroller band shows up significantly more darkly with Firefox but is quite easy to see with both.

I know that John experimented with several options when he first set up the forum and using the green skin, this was the best he could produce.

I'll raise the matter again with him to see whether the available options have changed.

If you don't use Firefox, it is worth giving it a try as it is free and an excellent browser.

Our Bluetit Diary can be found at http://www.biggonline.co.uk
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Malcolm, I've just been changing the skins in my browser, but it still doesn't alter the actual scroll colour, only the top and bottom icons and main background colour. I use a browser called Maxthon which is based on Internet Explorer and fully compatible. I shall probably use firefox now then for this one, I have to use it for my blog as photos don't want to upload in this one.

Thanks for the responses folks! Smile

Edit, I've just opened this in Internet Explorer too, and can quite easily see the scroll bar.

Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem as Janice and I too use Maxthon as a browser. Likewise, if I go through IE I can see the scroll bar adequately but it is still a bit feint. I'd always put this down to my screen not realising it wasn't just me.

Jan - If you hold down the middle button, scroll moving the mouse but let go of the middle button as soon as you want to stop scrolling.

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: