The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Re-sizing photo for avatar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re-sizing photo for avatar Reply with quote

How can I re-size one of my photos to make an avatar that is only 6kb? My photo image re-sizing software will reduce it by the number of pixels, it doesn't give what kb it is until you have saved it. I've now done this with a photo about 6 times, and now its so tiny you can hardly see it (40x55 pixels) and it's still 6.75 kb and won't be accepted on here. How do we get a decent 80x80 please? Confused

In Wales, if the cows are laying down, it's going to rain.
If they are standing up, it is raining. Wink
Diane E

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jan. Have you tried 'compressing' the photo before you reduce its size? That may help to reduce the kb size but keep it big enough to be viable. (I did mine in Picture Manager).

I tried it several ways with my picture before I found one that worked ok.

(Please do save a copy of your original before you compress it, in case it doesn't work. I wouldn't want you to shout at me!)

Diane
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Diane, I guess have to use the right-click menu on the photo to send to zipped folder? I don't know how else to compress anything I'm afraid. My photo editing software doesnt seem to have an option to compress anything!

I will have a fiddle around anyway and see what happens (when I have time, which doesn't seem to be often lately)

Thanks

Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan - I've found that this is the quickest bit of FREE software for resizing. I've more sophisticated packages which, because of this, take a little longer, but have found PixResizer great for reducing size quickly. You still need to view the picture again to determine the kilobyte size; I just have the necessary destination folder open to I can do this very quickly and resize again if necessary.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
dave

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan,

Do you use Windows XP? If so, you can use Microsoft Photo Editor.
(I'm not sure if this feature is available on older versions of Windows)
Just select a picture, right click on it. Select 'Open with' on the drop down menu.
Use Microsoft Photo Editor and click on 'resize' from 'Image' on the top line tool bar.
Change the 'units' to Pixels and type in 80x80.
La mud est opaque!
Et voila, votre avatar c'est formidable...

dave..

Batting Eyelashes
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies. Dave my XP doesn't have that feature unfortunately, doesn't surprise me, nothing I have is ever the correct thing. Sad I use either Online Image Resizer, or Irfanview, both of which re-size the picture I want to make smaller, you can set the pixels you want no problem, but then it is still over 6kb in size. Why don't any of them say what size KB you want it to be, or would that be too bloody simple? Evil or Very Mad

Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We both use Windows XP - but neither of us has Microsoft Photo Editor!

Janice - John put a message about how to resize photos here - but I don't know if it is any use for Avatar pics.

http://forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=145

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:
We both use Windows XP - but neither of us has Microsoft Photo Editor!

Must be just me then... Embarassed

dave..

Batting Eyelashes
Hampshire Hogg

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Janice,

I had a similar problem some while ago, and Malcolm gave me the answer.
If you scroll down Help/Feedback to "Avatar" posted by me you will be able to read the advice which managed to sort out my problem.
Hopes this helps.
John.
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for taking an interest, but I am still no further. I have just been having a play. Firstly, I do not have Adobe Photoshop, so I can't reduce it that way by choosing "Save for Web" So I have tried John's suggestion in Paint, using Stretch/Skew, and despite reducing the picture I have in mind to a tiny 38 x 42 pixels, it is still 6.75KB! I give up.

I will keep the baby hedgehog avatar I have. Thanks again, but my motto has always been "If at first you don't succeed, it was probably a bad idea in the first place..." Very Happy

Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice - I'd be happy to have a go at this for you. If you would like me to, just send me a pm and I'll let you have my e-mail address so you can send the original picture to me.

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tricia, but I've managed to sort out something for myself now, using my camera on the mobile phone I've just bought from my friend. It takes smaller KB photos in the first place, so by reducing the pixels to the right size, it automatically made the KBs acceptable for this site. I still would like to know what it is that you or Malcolm would use though to do this that I haven't got on my machine for future reference. I have two types of image resizer as already mentioned, but neither of these will reduce the kb size small enough. Is it something with XP Pro or something you bought?

Hampshire Hogg

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding stupid, when you have reduced the picture to the size you require you should then make sure you click "Save As" and select JPEG format.
This reduces the information in the picture which of course makes it have a smaller footprint.
You have probably already tried this so please ignore it if you have.
John
Janice

wales.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hampshire Hogg wrote:
At the risk of sounding stupid, when you have reduced the picture to the size you require you should then make sure you click "Save As" and select JPEG format.
This reduces the information in the picture which of course makes it have a smaller footprint.
You have probably already tried this so please ignore it if you have.
John

Thanks John. Let me show you exactly what has happened, it may make it easier to explain.

Firstly, I will post a copy of the picture in its original size, as it downloaded from my camera, in JPEG form, I don't use any other format. This was 768x1024, and 180KB

Secondly, using Irfanview, my software for reducing image, (which you state what pixel size you want, ) until it was only 60x80 and used saved as and it was still 7.19KB

Thirdly, I went down and down again until it was a tiny 47x62 and it was still 6.75KB

None of these were acceptable for an avatar, and I just dont understand technology enough to know why basically, and I would like to know what software will reduce a photograph down to specific KBs not just pixels, as others presumably havent had this problem when chosing an avatar on here. Confused

HillBilly

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the little fella...

One has also been lightened aswell...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: