The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Twatching
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Twatching Reply with quote

Twitching these days is so easy- all you need is transport, time and money. Having a big list doesn't imply great birding skill. In fact, as a friend said to me; ''The bigger the year list, the bigger the w*nker.'' There are one or two exceptions to this rule, evident from the Scops Owl twitch on Friday night when folk were lamping and luring a tired vagrant..

Is it a garden warbler or a blackcap? Can you tell the difference if you hear them? Probably not. If you see them and they're not singing/ callling, would you know the garden warbler from a chiff/ willow warbler? I doubt it.

Its time people got back to birding and not twitching. An eminent member of this forum with the initials 'PD' once said to me that he couldn't be bothered with an american robin bacause he wanted to visit his local patch.

Great stuff.

Get to know your local birds well before you twitch a bird you have only seen in Collins.

It aint big and it aint clever.

D
Alan

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have twice walked 60 yards across the road from my patch to twitch birds, a Gannet, and a Black Tern. Thats the furthest I've managed on a twitch. Sadly, I never drove the three miles to see the Laughing Gull!.

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
I have twice walked 60 yards across the road from my patch to twitch birds, a Gannet, and a Black Tern. Thats the furthest I've managed on a twitch. Sadly, I never drove the three miles to see the Laughing Gull!.

outrageous Alan.

I have twitched birds, just not very often. ultimately I'd rather go somewhere nice and see what I see than somewhere ghastly to see some rarity but it doesn't bother me if others want to do so. It bothers me if they think that seeing said rarity means something more than their enjoyment. Of course if something unusual is about I might use that info to decide where I go e.g Hoopoe at Fowlmere.

Ultimately that there were Spot Fly at the Lodge Saturday is more important than some lost migrant.

I've met people who have smaller lists than me but are MUCH better birders.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
Sadly, I never drove the three miles to see the Laughing Gull!.
That not sad - check out my post here to realise in what mess Yo were now if You had gone twitching that bird Exclamation Huh Shocked

I used to be fundamentalist antitwitcher, but nowadays I do quality twitching. For example, I would drive for a barn owl, but not for a laughing gull.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only twitched once - drove 7 miles to see two waxwings - and very pleased I was too Very Happy

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
Hindpool

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Twatching Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Its time people got back to birding and not twitching. An eminent member of this forum with the initials 'PD' once said to me that he couldn't be bothered with an american robin bacause he wanted to visit his local patch.

Great stuff.

Get to know your local birds well before you twitch a bird you have only seen in Collins.

D

Well said Darren! I am with you all the way on that. I get more pleasure from the everyday birds on my local patch than anything twitching would do for me.

Hindpool
dave

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?patching?

i think Daz, you've got the best patch of all.....
tell me that i'm wrong, but you've had Scottish Crossbill, Scops Owl, Woodchat Shrike, Capercaillie, Chough,
Red footed Falcon and all sorts of twitchable birds there in the past 6 months. Only dipped a Yank Robin by a day.
Who'd need to be a twitcher?? Laughing

dave...

p.s. the orientals have taken up twitching too..doncha know Batting Eyelashes

Last edited by dave on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
?patching?

i think Daz, you've got the best patch of all.....
tell me that i'm wrong, but you've had Scottish Crossbill, Scops Owl, Woodchat Shrike, Capercaillie, Chough,
Red footed Falcon and all sorts of twitchable birds there in the past 6 months. Only dipped a Yank Robin by a day.
Who'd need to be a twitcher?? Laughing

dave...

Roll on the floor laughing Roll on the floor laughing

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Alan

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karwin wrote:
Alan wrote:
Sadly, I never drove the three miles to see the Laughing Gull!.
That not sad - check out my post here to realise in what mess Yo were now if You had gone twitching that bird Exclamation Huh Shocked

I used to be fundamentalist antitwitcher, but nowadays I do quality twitching. For example, I would drive for a barn owl, but not for a laughing gull.

Karwin wrote:

Larus ridibundus. In English that is black-headed gull. If you translate black-headed gull in Finnish you get mustapäälokki, which actually is an another species - L. ichthyaetus, known in English as great black-headed gull. If you translate L. ridibundus' Finnish name - naurulokki - you get laughing gull, which again is a different species, L. atricilla (from North America). Furthermore, the latin words Larus & melanocephalus (mediterranean gull) mean - black-headed gull Enough of gulls Not Here comes: if you translate mediterranean gull in Finnish, you get välimerenlokki, which again -surprise, surprise- means yet another gull, L. audouinii (audouin's gull) .
Gulls r fun Says Karwin .

Oh my brain hurts

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is nothing wrong with twitching. if you want to do it then fine by me. I've done it before and no doubt I'll do it again - although my one mass twitch was pretty tedious. Just remember that it doesn't mean anything. I believe a Mr B Oddie has a uk life list of 350. But he is a darn sight better birder than anyone on BF I expect whatever our life/yearlists.

The one problem I have with the long distance twitching is the amount of petrol etc spent. Of course if you offset.............. otherwise what's the difference between you and Jeremy Clarkson - ooh the insult....

and yes I do alot of driving on holidays etc.

There is nothing superior to patch birding some people are patch birders my necessity rather than choice.. it just has some merit whereas some genetically defunct bird doesn't.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

AJC

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, it's here too. Yawn.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, this is why computer birding is fun with a capital fuh...

The whole reason this thread was started was to have yet another pop at Corinna.
I've done my fare share of pee taking too....and i am sorry.
but i'm gonna stand up here and say; what gives anyone the right to tell another person how they should and shouldn't enjoy their chosen hobby?
if you wanna 'patch' or 'twitch' or 'stroke Robins' then it's your chuffing choice. don't let some lame, funny ha-ha, smart arses tell you what you should and shouldn't do or where you must and mustn't go. sod them.
Corinna to my eyes, is not 2 faced; she calls things as she sees them, she doesn't suck up to the birding elite, she is competitive - which again is frowned upon, but most of all she is very, very enthusiastic. if it weren't for characters like her, then birding would be about as dull as something that was once nearly quite shiny yet got very dull, rolled in a dull muddy dull puddle and landed dull side up in a very dirty ditch on an extremely dull day.

it's great being a birding snob innit? Rolling Eyes

*wears twatcher badge with pride*
Pete

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
what gives anyone the right to tell another person how they should and shouldn't enjoy their chosen hobby?

Thumbs up

quite right Dave.

andrew i am surprised by your surprise e.g the scops comment that i've heard was made after last weds

but the whole twitching non twitching thing is boring. As Davey says do what you want

C does what she wants, i do what i want and Dave does he wants and that's cool.

and for the rest of BBF sorry about this its all a bit silly.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Davey boy and Pete.....
we do what we want to enjoy our hobby.

Strange that I do have a patch..well several that I go to weekly (if not away!!) and I enjoy Garden birds as much as the next BBF member...see my notes!!
Best of all I love sharing my love of birds and birding!!(its the educationalist in me!!!)

This year (well a bit of last year too!!) I have had the time (not the money or I'd be in South America/Africa and the Orient!!!!!!) to indulge myself in seeing lifers and uk lifers...however .....the rules of the game are the same...I do not break those....
If you need to see the rules they are in every RSPB booklet mag and other birding mag I know...
the bird comes first.....
Now who went for the Scops Owl...let him/her cast the first feather!!
misquoted to show that we are actully all human and fallible

I like birding with Dave and with Pete and with Dave and Pete...I learn a lot...I hope they do too ( not about birding!!). enjoyed birding with Darren...and EB and Malcolm and Tricia........and taking my friends birding who are not birders......I like birding!!!!!

While I'm in Cornwall - I am doing some birding and visiting Churches and boating and watching the World cup and doing crosswords and supporting the local economy....buying local organic products, sampling the local beer and also not so local wine (but buying it in Cornwall, not bringing it in) and suffering reading about cricket....one up there then Pete again!!

Life is too short to get hung up on stuff and I am very thick skinned as Dave and Pete will tell you!!

Thanks for your kind words...chaps.

And again I hope this isn't too boring for the rest of BBF!!

Nuff said by me at least!!

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Mick

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJC wrote:
Oh no, it's here too. Yawn.

Odd isnt it, I agree but we have both read the thread Confused
Just what is peoples problem with twitching, I don't do it because of family commitments otherwise I would be off like a rocket when ever something showed, sounds like great fun to me.

Mick
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: