The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Garden - Under Construction!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nina

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have things well under control, but with regard to planting too close together, sometimes this can be a very good way of keeping things in check, but the best bit is when things suddenly appear through the others, I have Japanese Anemones that pop up through the Azalias, Escallonia, Hypericums. Most amazing as you don't see them until the flowers pop up through! Quite amazing! Crocosmia pop up through one of the azaleas, no sign of them until they flower, possibly the best way to see them too!

You may not like the sedums, but if they are the ICE Plant type then the butterflies adore them, but I think they can be very untidy, so try planting them under something that supports them, that you intent to keep low growing, like one of the berberris? the bumble bees and butterflies will adore them honest!

I hope all goes well, and the little one doesn't attempt to eat the plants, but definately a good idea to discourage the nice little bunnywunnys as they are going to destroy any plants you may like, I have fields behind that are full of rabbits, but with the balance of nature, i.e. Buzzards, Foxes, Badgers, Stoats and Weasels, the numbers are kept in check. It doens't mean there is no damage, but we don't have too many incursions thank goodness!

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nina,

Yes, the sedums are the ICE type. I've decided to keep them but I will move them as they are right in front of my ceanothus Blue Sapphire which I adore and they are obstructing my view Very Happy I will take your tip on board when moving them. Thank you.

We got the plan back from the nursery last weekend. The man there has designed a border for wildlife:

Here goes (deep breath):

Trees and Shrubs:

Ilex x altacelernsis Lawsoniana
Sambucus. Nigra Guincho Purple
Cotoneaster Simonsii
Golden Hornet
Corylus
Pyrachantha Orange Glow
Sorbus Eastern Promise
Aronia abutifolia
"Worcester Gold"
Lonicera nitida
Red Currant
Pernettya mucronata
Hebe
Hamamelis mollis

Herbaceous perennials:

Pennisetum
Cirsium rivularis
Aconitum ivorine
Campanula Loddon Anne
Campanula persicfolia
Aster laterifolius
Knauita macedonica
Agapanthus Purple cloud
Monarda Twins
Geranium magnificum
Trifolium rubens
Geranium versicolor
Centaurea Montana white
Sedum Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy
Fragaria vesca
Dianthus
Prunella grandiflorum
Stokesis blue

Shocked Shocked

(plus three others I don't have a name for)

All this is for along the bottom of the garden in a shaped border which will be around 12ft at it's widest. It's all double Dutch to me Laughing

P.S Excuse any spelling errors!
Jo jo

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: New Wildlife Garden Reply with quote

Sounds like you are enjoying your garden. When we moved to this house, the garden seemed overwhelming, only grass. Nothing was planned, it just evolved. We have a rockery which the birds love to scratch around in. A plum, cherry, rowan, magnolia, lots of bushes and a herb garden.
There is a flower border and two ponds. Sometimes the pond is visited by the birds but the favourite is a stone bird bath on a pedestal. They fight to get into it. The young starlings got quite agressive.
Obviously, with a child in the garden care has to be given to any water feature but if possible some source of water is always enjoyed by all sizes of birds.
A crow turfed the starlings out once and claimed the birdbath for himself.
Good luck with your garden. Jo jo
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo jo,

We have a birdbath which is very popular and I'm thinking of creating a small drinking pool at ground level next spring. Not as good as a pond, but as close as I can get for a few years yet.
Nina

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the garden is looking now? I can imagine it looking really wonderful now.
The plants should have grown sufficiently to make quite a good show.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: