The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Garden - Under Construction!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Garden - Under Construction! Reply with quote

Not the best photos of the garden (my boyfriend emailed them to me to show the progress of the house rather than the blank mound of soil!) but they will give you a general idea of what we are about to face! I'll try and take better ones once I'm up there. And of work in progress....

The back garden is south facing and measures apx 18 metres long x 12 metres wide... just about right for us as we are beginner gardeners! No room for a big tree but we should manage with a Rowan.

I plan to have my bird table, hanging feeders and bird bath somewhere opposite the patio doors so I can watch in comfort! There will be a nest box somewhere above the garage and also one on the opposite side. At least one of these will have a camera - possibly both. Hopefully a robin/wren box in the garden - one day Rolling Eyes

No firm plans yet! We will plan it as best we can to attract birds and it also needs to be suitable for our two-and-a-half year old boy.

You can see it will need some kid of levelling!! It slopes from the house downwards and also side to side! Looks like we'll need to create a terraced garden, split level kind of thing Shocked (I'll pick up the correct terms as we go along Very Happy )

We'll need turfing and patio/decking for starters!

Any ideas are most welcome - and you can laugh with me as we make mistakes Razz Rolling Eyes

bbf1.jpg
70.76 KB, Viewed 833 Time(s)

bbf2.jpg
58.11 KB, Viewed 870 Time(s)

Pete

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you seem mildly excited Wink

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
you seem mildly excited Wink

Very Happy

I am - that'll soon change when I get up there. Maybe I'll give Charlie Dimmock a call Wink
Diana May

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be fantastic to have a blank canvas to work with, you must be so excited. As it is on a slope have you got lovely views? By the way terracing is the correct term to use. It takes me back to when we first moved into our house, (42 years ago), it was full of cabbages, stones and fruit trees. We were told we wouldn't be able to do anything with it and I hadn't a clue about gardening. That certainly changed, that is all I do now except for walking and birding.

If you want Charlie Dimmock you had better hurry (I know you were only joking really!!). She is out of work at the moment but she is talking about going around the world on a trip before she settles down again after losing her mother and stepfather in the tsunami. She is talking about coming back to Romsey Water Gardens where she used to live.

Hope the move goes well. Diana May Smile
KATE

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emma
Forget Charlie Dimmock. I can give you a bit of free advice. I work as a freelance garden designer. The easiest and cheapest way to create some levels in a slope like that is to use timber. Sleepers are good (new ones are available and much better than old ones soaked in grease, oil and creosote) These can be used level or upright or you can use 4inch round tanalised timbers.
Not sure exactly where Coldstream is, I will look it up. But Scotland is definately going to be a lot colder than Chester so a sorbus is a good choice of tree as they are pretty hardy. You can get lots of interesting varieties with different coloured leaves and berries as well as the wild rowan. Let me know if you want any more plant suggestions. Send me an e-mail. KATE
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana May wrote:
As it is on a slope have you got lovely views?

Sadly not Sad

Looking forward from the top of the steps is a row of four terraced houses, and to the left... more houses... it's quite enclosed and is in a kind of a triangular shape so we're not directly looking over anyone. To the right is a lovely wood which is the back end of a big nature park so my fingers are crossed for some interesting birds!

We've been in for just over a week. I've recorded 16 species in the back "garden" so far (no unusual sightings yet) without really sitting down to watch.

Kate - Thanks for the reply. We're still to decide what to do. We've started to level bits off so Daniel has somewhere to play (eventually!). There's a lot of clay out there - and millions of stones Evil or Very Mad
It's going to take a long time but we'll do it in small stages so it (hopefully) looks right.
Nina

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering if you have made any decisions yet on what you plan to do with your garden? I am interested to know what ideas you have come up with, are you going to have a Cottage type garden, terraced gaarden, or are you going to use the slope for any other ideas? I am redesigning my garden this year as I am needing more solid paths to work from, so we are going to get all the garden borders raised with soil from the spoil, that should make it easier for me to keep up with it without having too much help! I am an independant cuss really, I just want to say I am still able to do it all myself, but I know that is not likely to happen really!

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Garden Under Construction Reply with quote

Hi Emma
How does your garden grow? A Rowan tree should grow well up in Scotland, they have loads of berries which birds love and are also very hardy, the common name is Mountain Ash. They also look good. Berberis hedging would keep out intruders and provide berries and blossom, not necessarily in that order. Do send us some piccies when you can.
Kind regards
Sandra
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garden is coming along s-l-o-w-l-y.

We still have the slopes but they are no where near as bad as they look on the photos above. Lots of digging and raking, moving, pushing and shoving involved!

I have created (so far) three shaped flower beds/shruberies containing: berberis, lilac x 2, butterfly bush x 2, beauty bush, hostas (I HATE them, but the MIL gave them to me so I felt I had to Rolling Eyes ), philadephus (x 3 Shocked ), holly bush, sedum (has to go - it's horrible)... and lots of other bushes/plants that I can't recall the name of Embarassed almost everything that flowers is either white, pink, blue or purple.

I have placed the bird bath in a quiet corner amongst some small shrubs - and near a log pile.

Climbing along one fence I have: honeysuckle, creeping rose (or something), clematis x 2.

There's a contorted hazel near the bottom.

There's a sorbus growing opposite where I do my birdwatching with the feeders and bird table close by Laughing

Still have a huge border to dig right along the bottom - but I've done the decent thing and handed a picture to a nursery owner and asked him to create something for birds and butterflies Smile

I need another small tree and we've just started to lay turf so the little man has somewhere to play.

We've removed millions of stones, rocks and the odd boulder or three Very Happy

Still a lot to do. I worry sometimes if I have planted a few things too close together but of course I can try moving the odd thing or two if need be.

As it's all brand new, and I'm not a gardener, it's hard to imagine what it'll look like after few years. Have to keep reminding myself that things can be replaced/moved/throw out if I don't like them Smile

Oh, and I've just planted crocus and snowdrops for next spring - Scilla are on the way (ordered online last night!).

I'll remember to take some photos of the flower beds soon - as long as you promise not to laugh WinkWink

One last thing: Surprised last week to see two young partridges running along the bottom of the garden. Never had them in any garden before (they haven't been back). And a rabbit, too.
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma wrote:
And a rabbit, too.

Emma

From the sounds of it, your garden is going to be just great!; and how exciting to start with a clean sheet!

Just a friendly word of warning regarding the bunny. My mother had one that visited her and her neighbours garden. They (the bunnies) are rather partial to young seedings. The neighbour who planted out his seedlings which he had nurtured from seed, was somewhat red in the face with anger (that's the polite version), when, much to his horror he discovered the following morning, the bunny had scoffed the lot for his dinner.

Chicken wire was used in my mother's garden, but it really was too late.

Can't wait for your next lot of pictures. Smile

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
Boo

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Garden - Under Contsruction Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Emma
It sounds as though you and your garden are doing very well.

As you say, if you have planted too close together, you can alway move things around, take heed though, you won't want to move the berberis when it gets bigger, its a nightmare. Been there, done that, still have the scars!! D'oh!

I imagine that the building development was once open fields ergo the rabbits and partridges. By the way what is a beauty bush? Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I am green with envy already.
Regards
Sandra
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriciaR wrote:
Emma wrote:
And a rabbit, too.

Just a friendly word of warning regarding the bunny. My mother had one that visited her and her neighbours garden. They (the bunnies) are rather partial to young seedings. The neighbour who planted out his seedlings which he had nurtured from seed, was somewhat red in the face with anger (that's the polite version), when, much to his horror he discovered the following morning, the bunny had scoffed the lot for his dinner.
Smile

I watched him on and off for about three days - he went for the weeds that we hadn't yet removed. I tried to feed him carrots and parsnips whilst no one was looking Laughing But, yes, you are right. I really shouldn't encourage him. He hasn't been back since I made a stone path around the wooden playhouse (which I forgot to mention above) which prevented him from getting in to his hiding space underneath. He was very cute, but I'll try not to encourage him if he ever comes back. But he was very cute. Very cute. LOL.

The neighbours at the back and side have vegetable patches - they might tell me off if they catch me Twisted Evil
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Garden - Under Contsruction Reply with quote

Sandra Contardi wrote:
Very Happy Hi Emma
It sounds as though you and your garden are doing very well.

As you say, if you have planted too close together, you can alway move things around, take heed though, you won't want to move the berberis when it gets bigger, its a nightmare. Been there, done that, still have the scars!! D'oh!

I imagine that the building development was once open fields ergo the rabbits and partridges. By the way what is a beauty bush? Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I am green with envy already.
Regards
Sandra

This is a beauty bush http://www.tangledroots.biz/plants/pink_cloud.jpg

It's actually the one thing we still have that hasn't yet been planted.

As for the berberis, it's really small at the moment - but ever so nasty Twisted Evil I'd need to look at the whatsit to see which type it is - but I think it's one that doesn't get very big. Can you tell I'm not a gardener? lol
Boo

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Garden - Under Contsruction Reply with quote

It's actually the one thing we still have that hasn't yet been planted.

As for the berberis, it's really small at the moment - but ever so nasty Twisted Evil I'd need to look at the whatsit to see which type it is - but I think it's one that doesn't get very big. Can you tell I'm not a gardener? lol[/quote]

It's well named - gorgeous. I'm not a gardener either, just a potterer. I learned about the berberis the hard way. They are very sharp and the wound usually goes ever so slightly septic, keep any eye out (or in, preferably!!!). However, rather than have to move it, keep it well pruned, don't let it grow too big then you won't have to.
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Garden - Under Contsruction Reply with quote

Sandra Contardi wrote:

It definately lives up to its name Smile

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: