The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Guess the bird game
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Guess the bird game Reply with quote

This game is a rolling quiz with one round each day. The setter will give the description of a British bird which will require a little thought and research to identify.

Guidelines

A question will be set by the person who won the previous day's Quiz, and he/she will set a time limit for receipt of the answers, which are to be sent by PM to the setter.

If more than one person answers correctly, the setter will select a winner from these entries by drawing the names from a hat, or by some other method of selecting one by chance.

The setter will then post the answer, name the winner and list the names of all the people who sent in the correct answer, and also say how many entries were received.

Last edited by Strixaluco on Mon May 22, 2006 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birds used so far - Arctic Tern, Avoceet, Barn Owl, Bean Goose, Bearded Tit, Bittern, Blackbird, Black Guillemot, Bluethroat, Blue Tit, Brambling, Bullfinch, Capercaillie, Chaffinch, Chough, Coal Tit, Common Crossbill, Common Sandpiper, Coot, Corn Bunting, Corncrake, Cuckoo, Curlew, Dipper, Dotterel, Dunlin, Dunnock, Eider, Fieldfare, Firecrest, Gannet, Grasshopper Warbler, Goldcrest, Golden Eagle, Goldeneye, Goldfinch, Goosander, Grasshopper Warbler, Great Crested Grebe, Great Grey Shrike, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Green Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Gyr Falcon, Hawfinch, Hen Harrier, Herring Gull, Hobby, Honey Buzzard, Hooded Crow, Hoopoe, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, Kingfisher, Kittiwake, Lapwing, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Linnet, Little Auk, Little Ringed Plover, Little Stint, Long-tailed Duck, Long-tailed Skua, Long Tailed Tit, Manx Shearwater, Merlin, Mistle Thrush, Nightingale, Nightjar, Nuthatch, Osprey, Pied Flycatcher, Pintail, Ptarmigan, Raven, Red-backed Shrike, Red Grouse, Red Kite, Redpoll (Common), Redstart, Redwing, Reed Bunting, Reed Warbler, Ring Ouzel, Robin, Rock Pipit, Sanderling, Sand Martin, Savi's Warbler, Shelduck, Short Eared Owl, Siskin, Skylark, Smew, Snipe, Snow Bunting, Spotted Crake, Starling, Stonechat, Stone Curlew, Treecreeper, Turnstone, Twite, Water Rail, Waxwing, Wheatear, Whimbrel, White Tailed Eagle (Sea Eagle), Woodcock, Woodlark, Wren, Wryneck, Yellowhammer

Last edited by Strixaluco on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:03 pm; edited 99 times in total
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightingale.....won by Silverfalcon!!

Well done to Mrs Fish for correct answer!! Cool

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Silverfalcon

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right folks here goes ...

This bird is the size of a thrush. Lives in woodlands and parks. And can usually be seen flying in a deep bound or sitting on a tree trunk. It eats nuts, insects and their larvae, and has been known to eat chicks.

Please pm me with your answer and I will read out the winner later tonight about 8ish. Good luck to all!
Silverfalcon

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer was: Great Spotted Woodpecker! 6 people answered the question but only 4 got the answer right, Mrs Fish, Dawn, Anne and Pauco. After doing a lucky draw the overall winner is: Anne! Well done! Over to you now ...
Anne

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverfalcon wrote:
..... After doing a lucky draw the overall winner is: Anne! Well done! Over to you now ...

OK - here goes : this waterloving bird is known for it's ability to swim and walk underwater as well as on the surface. It's a hardy bird, and near feezing waters do not prevent it diving for food. It is slightly larger than the European Robin, rather squat in appearance with a disproportionally short tail.

Please PM me with the answers. I'll be out at work most of tomorrow but will check in at 18:00 ish to check for answers. Over to the good folks of BBF (I'm off to bed - early start tomorrow !!)

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the answer was : DIPPER

There were only 3 entries ( Crying or Very sad ) and 2 correct answers from Dawn & Steve.H.

After a lucky draw the winner is Dawn . Well done - and over to you !!

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes - hang on I'll have to have a look in me book Confused

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is one of my favourite birds - small bird with a proportionately very long tail, often seen in gardens flying in flocks which are said to resemble flying feather dusters.

They have difficult to distinguish white and black markings and an overall pinkish hue, short stubby bills, and are well known for their beautiful and intricate ball shaped nests.

Please PM me with the answers by 7pm tomorrow (Saturday) evening, and I will read out the winner as soon as possible afterwards.

Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you all knew it Applause

The answer was: Long Tailed Tit

7 entries altogether and 7 correct answers from Tricia, Anne, Corinna, Pete, Mrs Fish, Snowy and Steve.H (you clever bunch!)

....and the winner chosen at random by hubby is Snowy!!

Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bird is a water dweller appox 38-44 cm in length the male is black & white in colour with some grey to the rear the female is similar but with brown on the sides of it's head & more grey on it's body M & F have a black mask & a saw bill it is a diver not a dabbler what is it ?

GAME ENDS 8:00pm Sunday results will be given ASAP.
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the bird was a Smew (See Pic) 5 entries altogether and 4 correct answers from BoD Bird, Anne, Corinna & Dawn, The wife made the draw & BoD Bird is the winner the first correct answer was Dawn

Thanks Snowy
BoD Bird

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small bird, the male is unmistakable in spring. Its central throat spot can be white or chestnut. They can be quite secretive, flicking into the cover of a bush with a flash of their chestnut tail patches.

They are migrants which are usually found in coastal areas and are seen on open grassy and marshy areas with bushes nearby.

They eat insects, caterpillars and berries and have a varied song with throaty and ringing notes, a 'tacking' call.

Please PM me with the answers by 8pm tomorrow (Monday) evening, and I will advise who the winner is as soon as possible thereafter.
BoD Bird

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is Bluethroat.

Only 3 entries today. One correct, two wrong

The winner is Steve.H

So its over to you mate...........

Craig
Steve.H

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Gosh errrmm let me think Thinking about it, post one later on.

Steve
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 1 of 34

Jump to: