The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Teasel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siskin

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Teasel Reply with quote

I've read that some people on this board grow teasel in their garden. I have a teasel head on a short stalk I found in my park, but I think the goldfinches have eaten all the seeds out of it. How can I get the seeds to attract goldfinches to my garden? Do I have to get the teasel from the park earlier in the year?

Siskin
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy the seeds fairly easily, I think this site definitely sells them:

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/foundcategory.lasso?category_id=6

I'm not sure quite what it is that grows when you plant nyjer seed; I've only been feeding it since last autumn, but the goldfinces drop loads of it, so I have that joy to come! Rolling Eyes Whatever it is, though, I'd assume goldfinches would like that too. Others might know whether nyjer plants are an attractive addition to the flowerbed, or voracious weeds??

Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a packet of teasel seeds from a Garden Centre some years back, but the plants failed to attract any goldfinches! Crying or Very sad However a couple of years ago I tried niger seed in a special feeder, and that really broguht them in, though they seem to prefer sunflower hearts now.

Edit - Kit, you beat me to it! I've read that niger plants are not hardy, so they don't last through the winter.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first ever Goldfinch appeared today and ate niger seed. Greenfinch seem to like it best though!

The sparrows have been eating the spillages.
Silver Sparrow

Location: The part of London with the smallest number of birds

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how long teasel takes to germinate, because I seem to be waiting for ever!!!

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver Sparrow wrote:
Can anyone tell me how long teasel takes to germinate, because I seem to be waiting for ever!!!

If you purchased the seeds, then the packet should identify how long germination takes - some plants can take a considerable time, so don't give up hope!

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
orangebow

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver Sparrow wrote:

Do you have a greenhouse? Might speed it up, it hasnt been that warm lately though.
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangebow wrote:
Silver Sparrow wrote:

Do you have a greenhouse? Might speed it up, it hasnt been that warm lately though.

If you haven't got a greenhouse, how about a heated propagator that you can have indoors? There are many about and you can get can get one designed to sit on a window-sill.

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/PRWS.htm

Silver Sparrow

Location: The part of London with the smallest number of birds

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 3 weeks ago i planted them in pots which i keep on my windowsill (inside). Followed the instructions, nothing yet. (and it doesnt mention how long it takes to germinate Sad just that it 'grows well on all soils')

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a beach up on the Cardigan Bay coast where I take my dog for a walk sometimes, there is a huge bed of teasel growing wild above the high water mark, there must be around 300 plants. So the year before last, I picked (well cut, I went armed with secateurs) about 8 stems to just stick in one of my borders to attract goldfinches. It worked! And whats more, they all self-seeded, and last summer I had plants that grew around 8 feet high! I took a couple of pics. They can be invasive if you aren't careful apparently. Good luck with yours though, but if you just want them to attract, rather than feed, maybe you can just buy some teasel plants like they sell for flower arrangements?

teasel.jpg
105.1 KB, Viewed 1256 Time(s)

In Wales, if the cows are laying down, it's going to rain.
If they are standing up, it is raining. Wink
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really are large. Well done Janice

FeedTheBirds

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Teasels Reply with quote

Teasels are very good for bees too. I love the delicate pinky bloom when they're in flower and the plants are particularly limey green. Not sure about them being invasive - it's easy to dig out any self-seeded specimens.
Nina

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lucky and got some young plants that had seeded themselves around in a friends garden, they should be in flower this year as they are biennial! If the seeds haven't germinated, try sowing on sand in late spring in a cold frame as they don't like being too well cared for! I have bought several wild seed seeds to grow this year as I want to create a wildflower garden in the prairie borders, the only one of these seeds I will not be planting in this region is the ragged robin as that needs constant moisture, so I will plant the seedlings in the ditch in front ot the house on the verge, where I have also got Meadowsweet and more teasels already growing.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some seeds from last year's Homes Fit For Birds RSPB campaign, so I will be planting these this year. I plan to look in my garden centre for teasel seedlings, as I have scattered endless numbers of seeds over the ground and had no luck. The birds ate my cornflower seeds last year too, so all I had growing were poppies. I plan to grow my seeds in seed trays before planting them in the garden this year. Smile

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick with wild flowers is not to sow in rich nitrogenous soil, try and find some really poor soil that has not been fed for many years, prefferably soil from a driveway, or spoilt from compaction, loosen the soil slightly then sow the seeds, cover with cling film or polythene bags, to stop them drying out, but then put them in a shaded place, and basically forget about them! That should give you the best germination you will ever get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: