The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Forum Closure

Some kind members have setup a new replacement forum at http://birdboxdiaries.boards.net/
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Bigg Bird Forum Closure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> FAQ and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gasteropod

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Bigg Bird Forum Closure Reply with quote

It is with great sadness that we have to announce the closure of the Bigg Bird Forum at the end of February this year. We all knew that at some point this day would come, but just before Christmas we were informed by our hosting providers that the version of PHP we require will no longer be available from March 1st onwards.

Unfortunately, the forum software that we use is also very old and obsolete and cannot run using newer PHP versions. Due to the number of customisations we have made to add the photo album and attachments, it is not practical to migrate to newer forum software without a huge amount of work and is therefore not possible for us at this time.

I had hoped at one point that we could leave a read only copy of the forum once we decided to close it, but with the withdrawal of the current version of PHP this is not an option either.

I am also disappointed that we could not give more notice. Our host only informed us this would happen a few weeks ago, and with Christmas it took us a while to work out what that would mean and what our options were.

We will leave the forum open until the end of February, but unfortunately it will stop working from the beginning of March, so towards the end of February I will shut it down and replace with a message in case other members who have not visited in a while will know what has happened.

14 years ago, when I first worked on this, I never imagined it would still be here now, and I hope everyone has had enjoyment from the forum over the years.

Thanks for all your support,

John

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making us aware of this,
Real shame as its just in time with the season starting, Hopefully we will find somewhere else to post our stories over spring.
Thank you for making this site and forum its brought us all much joy over the years sharing our stories and seeing how your boxes are doing.

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John & Malcolm
Thank you for letting us all know the situation and the difficulties. Yes, it is a very sad day for all of us we have had fun meeting each other on here and keeping abreast of all the goings on in our gardens.
I personally would like to thank you both and of course Elizabeth for everything you have done. The forum has given me much pleasure and since joining I have begun to appreciate watching wildlife more than ever and the beauty of it.
Most of all though it is meeting like minded people who have come together to share our nest adventures; without doubt we have leaned a lot. I believe people like you make the world a better place and goodness knows it needs it!
Good luck to you and your family and best wishes for 2019. Take Care.

Kathy x
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: FORUM CLOSURE (VERY SAD) Reply with quote

I am so really sorry for all the sad reasons for BBF closure, even though I have travelled the World bird watching I have gained so much knowledge from others on this site & loved posting my photos from around the world for others to see what was out there & for the photos that I had taken of bird that I did not know, there was always some one with the answer. I will sorely miss the BBF website it's been a BIGG FREIND TO ME

Regards Steve Plant. AKA Snowy.
fsphil

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for al the work over the years keeping the forum running. This has definitely been one of the friendliest corners of the internet.

I hope you can find a way to archive the content.

Sheena

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Forum Closure Reply with quote

I have been a member of the forum since we first got a birdbox camera in 2005. This forum has been a marvellous way of sharing the highs and lows of nesting birds, and many thanks go to the people who organised it, particularly Malcolm and Elizabeth. I have just been through and printed out all my posts. I had forgotten a lot of the incidents, so it is really lovely to have a record of the years.

It is really sad to see the forum close, but you can be certain that many, many people have enjoyed using it over the years. Thank you again

Sheena

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> FAQ and Announcements All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: