The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Matt's Bird Boxes 2019

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt1973

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Matt's Bird Boxes 2019 Reply with quote

Hi all, hope everyone is doing OK!

Following on from last year's success (kind of), we have been now made a brand new pair of nest boxes with colour cameras (switchable IR filter for night time) and some LED illumination (both white and IR). Boxes haven't been put up yet, but I thought I would share the progress so far. Hopefully I will get at least one of them up in the next day or two as a direct replacement for last year's (which I will put somewhere else).

Here's a pic of the new ones. No roofs yet, that's tomorrow's job! Picture seems pretty good with IR filter engaged and LED lights on full - the image below is a screen grab from a test stream to Youtube. Also should be able to stream in full HD this season.

Fingers crossed for a bit of interest - hopefully we are not too late to get some roosters interested over winter Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you back Matt,
All looking great!
Hopefully you get a little rooster to watch over the winter.

Matt1973

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, I hope so too!
I am planning to swap last years nest box with one of the new ones. Same dimensions etc. I don't know if there is a rooster in there at the moment (could well be), so hopefully if there is, it will carry on in the new box..
Hoping to get sound going as well at some point before spring, which should bring another dimension to it Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've swapped out the old box for one of the new boxes with a new camera. No obvious signs of roosting in the old box (poo?) and no rooster last night in the new box, which I was hoping might happen if there was already a resident.

Tested out the second camera on the old box to get an idea of what a nest might look like in colour - looking pretty good actually with the lights on!

Now to clean out the old one and put that back up along with the second new one, for a total of three. Hopefully that should stack the odds in our favour a bit!

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great colour Matt,
Led lighting working its magic.
I see you've got the camera box bug now adding to them Laughing
That's always been my way with boxes, I have more boxes than I should for size my garden and fairly close together some of them.
But I always see it as giving them an option different places different boxes in the wild there is many holes in trees and things so why not have more boxes and give the birds a choice.
Always worked well for me.
Good luck for the new season ahead, Can't believe it is November already! Nesting season will be here before we know it.

Matt1973

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we have gone a bit crazy this time Paul Very Happy
Definitely wanted to upgrade to colour, and wanted to increase our odds of getting a nester in spring so hopefully three boxes will give us the best chance. No roosters as of yet (third box only went up today), but hasn't really been cold at all since the boxes went up. Fingers crossed - nothing to do but wait a few months now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: