The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Placing of Bird Boxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayLeigh

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Placing of Bird Boxes Reply with quote

Hi, I live in a semi with the unattached wall facing west and I want to fix some bird nesting boxes to this wall. I know it is not ideal but the area next to this wall is an area of shrubs and trees and a tract of land that I have planted with meadow and wildflower seeds. The sun will hit the wall in the late afternoon but for most of the day it is shaded. I get a range of birds in my garden but am thinking of trying to attract house sparrows as numbers are declining and as they are neighbourly birds I could put up a few boxes along the wall. I am hoping to get them up before end of October so that they may be used for over wintering if needed as well as let the birds know they are there before breeding season starts. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions before I embark on the installations. Thanks
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rayleigh,

Firstly welcome to the forum nice to have you here!
West should be fine if most the day is giving shade.
I have my boxes facing all different ways, Its funny because RSPB and BTO tell you never to have boxes facing south, However I have 3 boxes facing south under my eves (so in shade all day) and they are my most successful boxes.

I think aslong as the box got shade in the peak hours of the hottest sun it won't matter if its north south east or west to be fair.

Good luck with your boxes, You planning to get camera boxes or just standard ones? Either way during spring dont forget to post in the bird box part of the forum if your boxes are used, Always nice to have new members.

You look on sites like the two listed below for all nest box related info and suggestions for height etc info.

https://www.bto.org/about-birds/nnbw/putting-up-a-nest-box

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/nestboxes/nestboxes-for-small-birds/making-and-placing-a-bird-box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: