The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Greatbluehopefuls nest box 2013-2018 - Kildare,Ireland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the wood GBH, your hubby will be busy this weekend haha! Can't wait to see the finished results!
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...yes, its a bit of work for himself alright. Looking forward to having it all done though and then I can forget about it for the winter. I hope nothing hinders the work this weekend! My cables for the new cameras/LED lights are arriving on Monday so I'll be able to connect everything up and just leave the cameras running.

I've still no roosters yet, but I'm getting daily morning visits still by the blue tits....the Great tit still has not ventured inside, but the latest development now is that he's chasing the blue tit away from the Aldi box now too...which is about 20metres away from the Cedar box....

The minute the Blue tit lands on the entrance hole, it's following rapidly by the Great tit who nearly lands right on top of the Blue tit knocking him off the box....yet, the Great Tit still won't go inside, to either box.

He's just a bully it seems. The Blue tit just waits on the roof of the shed or house until he's gone, and goes in anyway. Laughing

Anyway, they longer they leave it, the better chance I have of getting the new box up and the other box fitted out...so, for once, I'm hopeful they don't decide to roost until nearer mid next week. Razz

--------------------------------------------------

P.s Edited to say: The three new Sony 700TVL birdbox cameras I got have black invisible LEDS bulbs, which are unlike my current cameras which have the regular clear LEDS bulbs....to the human eye, when the infra red is on at night, you can't see anything on either set up.

But apparently animals have the ability see the little red dots from the infra red on the clear LEDS which might potentially spook them...but not on the black 'invisible' ones? That's the only technical difference that I can tell?

But I wonder are the Black 'invisible' LEDS better or worse for camera quality though? I would have thought the clear LEDS would be better for viewing night vision on the monitor? Or maybe there is no difference at all? Does anyone know?

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had them with black on always clear,
So wouldn't know but since the company have made them for nest boxes.
I doubt it will make the IR work any less, Should be fine.

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great GreatTit/Bluetit stand off here!

The Great tit finally took the plunge and went inside the Aldi box to the Bluetits quite visable annoyance. The Bluetit sat on the roof of the birdbox, chattering & flapping and waited for the GreatTit to emerge. Then the Great tit took a run at the Bluetit and off they went attacking each other into the sky.

I have pictures from the outside, but because my outdoor camera is so far away you just can't make out any detail which is a pity. Another thing I have to remedy soon.

Great tit visit into Aldi house
Great tit visit into Aldi house
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 9 Time(s)

In the Cedar box I believe the GreatTit cannot enter the house and that is why he has not yet gone in. Have a look at this picture:

Can he fit????
Can he fit????
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 7 Time(s)

It's appears to be quite a snug fit....he must be very fat??? He does seem so much bigger than the Bluetit.

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all go in your boxes it seems GBH!
Bet you are over the moon to be getting so much activity,
You sure the hole on the cedar box is 32mm? I know the hubby made it so you know what hole size it is.
I am just asking because you see alot people saying GT struggle to get into 28mm holes which is recommended for them,
If its 32mm I don't think he would have trouble getting in as it will be same hole size as the aldi box so its a strange one.

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....it is a 31.5mm to be precise...himself didn't have a holesaw that size so he drilled out the hole and then filed it close enough to 32mm....so there is a very slight difference, but not enough to not have him fit I feel.

I hope to have LED light in soon....maybe he'll go in then once he sees there is no threat. In the Cedar box because there is no windows when he pokes his body in he blocks out all the light, so maybe he's being just really cautious.

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I can't see that making much difference,
Might just be testing it out fully before going in.
I don't know if the dark inside will be an issue didn't stop the blue tit but who knows all birds different!

Your hubby started work on your two new boxes yet? Looking forward to seeing all the changes and new boxes, Got everything crossed for you going into 2019!

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Sony Effio 700tvl camera & LED light are now in the Cedar box. Its a different orientation to the way I had it before, the hole is at the bottom of the screen now...but it was the only way the camera could be set up. Plus the picture seems to be squashed and the base looks like a square, rather than the rectangle it actually is? I'll get used to it I'm sure...

New 700tvl Sony Effio (not focused yet) & LED light
New 700tvl Sony Effio (not focused yet) & LED light
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 12 Time(s)

LED light off in total darkenss
LED light off in total darkenss
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 8 Time(s)

It was getting dark so I didn't get around to properly focusing/adjusting the camera lens yet...I'll do that tomorrow in day light.

I think the inside of the box might show a different colouring in the proper day light too...a warmer tone maybe? I'll know more tomorrow. Anyway, thats one done!

Hope they like it!!!

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be because the camera is a wider shot for the square bottom,
Looks great though!

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol!!!! Laughing Zero visits so far this morning....so typical. Dying to see the bird colouring in the lighted up Cedar box!!!

Anyway, In the mean time, we are toying with the idea of making a side view box now. Himself saw some of the pictures on the forum and said why not make it different to the current square upright Cedar box, so there will be no mistaking the two boxes when viewing the monitor?

Sounded like a plan....so, it looks like "we" are about to have a go at making a side view box. Anxious

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, looking forward seeing the homemade side box, the side box is my favourite box I think everyone knows that haha! Have look on gardenature websiite they have pics inside and out so you get good idea! Good luck looking forward to the results!
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....its nearly finished!!! Couldn't completely finish it as I'm waiting on a 32mm hole saw to be delivered tomorrow and my cables are being shipped too.

But here's a few pictures of the work so far.

The wood is far rougher than the piece we got for the 1st Cedar box....so its alot more 'rustic' looking.

1st cut of the Western Red Cedar
1st cut of the Western Red Cedar
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 5 Time(s)

Taking shape
Taking shape
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 8 Time(s)

Camera & LED go in
Camera & LED go in
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 9 Time(s)

Roof goes on
Roof goes on
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 7 Time(s)

Felt roof & location of hole figured out.
Felt roof & location of hole figured out.
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 10 Time(s)

Artists impression of how things *might* look next season!
Artists impression of how things *might* look next season!
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 18 Time(s)

So, I can't wait to have the entrance hole drilled out.

Then we'll mount it on the wall, and we are done!

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks brilliant GBH,
Really like the rustic looking wood too!
What is the 3rd one to be made going to be? The flat roof box by gardenature have all 3 then! Cool Laughing
Hubby done a great job there.
Few members might be putting orders in at this rate Wink

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul...so glad I've something new up for the next season. But I think box number 3 might not be forthcoming for a while!! Laughing

Slightly anxious the base area of the new side view box is a little bit on the small side but we'll see. Confused

I'm disappointed with the new cameras. Sad The quality does not appear good to be honest. They are no where near as good as the Aldi cameras, which is a surprise. They were vibrant and clear.

These ones are very grainy and the colour is very washed out.

Its a pity the LEDS don't come in a warm light instead of the cool white colour, because I don't think that helps things either.

Unless I have them set up incorrectly. When everything is in place I will see if I can change the configuration settings on the DVR.

Anyway.... I'm delighted with the boxes. Surely I'll get something next year???

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange GBH.
I always get my 700TVL sony effio's off Gardenature so can't comment on spycameras ones
But all mine are very crisp sharp images.
I lost alot of quality on videos due to standing infront of the telly and videoing it with my phone
So never do me justice videos but never grainy or nothing.
Have you check the power plug you are using? the power plug needs to be 12V It normally tells you on the plug on like a little sticker.
I am only saying this because I had a camera one time and quality was rubbish compared to my other cameras then I realised my power plug was only 8V when I needed it on a 12V.
Worth a check.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 35 of 36

Jump to: