The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

None of our birdboxes in occupation this year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delilah

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: None of our birdboxes in occupation this year Reply with quote

Hello.. following a sweet message from a fellow forumer, I thought I would pop in a message here.

We cleaned out all our boxes when all nesting was over (used boiling water, no chemicals) and replaced all the boxes. (late 2017)

We have been feeding countless birds throughout winter and we have countless numbers flocking to our garden and there are plenty of nests in our hedges and trees but not one nest in any of our boxes.

We have especially large numbers of blackbirds and goldfinches and house sparrows. We always have long tailed tits, plus blue, great and coal.

We do not have any idea why our boxes are unfavoured this year, nothing has changed in the garden.

There seems no shortage of wild birds, thank goodness - so we just enjoy watching them scoff themselves on both the seeds we put out and the buds they nip off the shrubs and trees... they are clearly eyeing up our cherry trees, which are showing the first signs of budding fruits.
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Delilah, so so pleased you are back, have been thinking about you & wondering how everything’s doing at yours, well seems you’ve answered that thought Laughing
I wonder why they haven’t taken up residency!? Maybe because you have wonderful surroundings & they are happy with that, after all, I’d sooner be out than couped up in a box Wink

Anyway nice of you to pop in Delilah Flowers

Elle
Xx
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely to hear from you Delilah. Such a shame you have no takers this year. We miss your lovely photos. Am sure Kathy would welcome any that you do have of any of your garden birds, if you would like to be part of the calendar this year. Some on here have had very late takers, and seems quite a strange year for many. Wishing you well, and hope you keep popping in from time to time.
Sue
Bluetitkeeper

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only think to myself is that they are viewing your garden as busy feeding station and might decide to nest in a quieter garden?

I am toying with the idea of not feeding my birds this Winter, but that is a lot of months without any activity to view!!

1x 28mm Blue tit box (Fledged in June)
*New Blue tit camera box to be installed in August!
*New feeding station to be installed in August!
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Delilah
It's odd isn't it. Who knows what makes them decide Think Thinking I have had a couple of years with no takers. Better luck next year Four leaf clover I know it is a very empty feeling though Sad
Delilah

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still zilcho in the boxes.. but have posted on the nest page - seems a wren is making some sort of nest in one of our sheds.. pretty awful building technique!!
But a nest is a nest and beggars cannot be choosers (at least not this year!) Seems an odd place to attempt a nest, right where the door opens - we keep the lawn mowers and tools in the there so Mr Wren knows we are always opening the door!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: