The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Sammi's boxes 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All looking great Sammi,
Keep the updates coming! Very Happy

ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All looking good there Sammi Very Happy

Elle
Xx
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found the same with my latop Sammi....the data load on the computer is very high, and it used to over heat and then go bananas altogether. Usually at the most critical moment.

It was brilliant when it WAS working - I could take an image or video clip or two, but leaving it on to view for any length of time was making the cooling fan run over time and the sound of it used to ruin the joy of it all.

I finally invested in a CCTV digital recorder this year, and that solved that problem. Of course, I'm viewing an empty box, but a least its a quiet empty box!!!

sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBH yes fingers crossed the PC will play ball just for a few days to see if anyone is visiting the GT box. It is suspiciously quiet and I didn't see her go in to roost last night although I can't be sure Sad
The old PC is set up in the corner and amazingly icatcher is monitoring the nest for me so we will see. The PC froze once whilst I set it all up....think in shock that I'd switched it on again Very Happy Of course having everything in place now will bring into play the proverbial Sod's Law and that will be that Sad I'm not feeling hopeful and my mind keeps flashing back to a recent visit from our sparrow hawk .... Sad Shocked Pray Nail biting
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a technical question for anyone who can help. My PC I know isn't up to the task of using icatcher console. I've been considering replacing it for a while but I'm never sure which bits of the set up need improving. Seems it's the gaming range of PCs that would be the best. Am I correct? It's looking less likely that I'll have more than one nest to monitor so I'm not sure if the expense is warranted Sad Is the option of a cctv monitor a better and cheaper route to take if I do get more than one nest? Sorry for putting this on here but I usually go round in circles when I try to decide Brick wall Think Confused At wits end Silly Silly Silly
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably can ignore the previous post....think the Great Tits have moved on or are too busy with their real nest At wits end Now I'm wondering if it's an opportunity to change the box as the camera is on its last legs and the cabling is old and damaged.....or do you think they'll come back ? Think I'd rather spend money on a new nest box than yet another PC. Very Happy
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammi for what it's worth I think I would hang fire for a bit after all GT's can have a second brood through to July so they might return. It's been a strange spring all things are out of kilter! If you haven't seen any sign in a day or two then go for it.
However, just my opinion & you must do what you think best. Good luck whatever you decide.
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kathy ...yes I'll give it a few days to see what's going on. One GT pair (maybe more) still visit the garden just yards from the box to feed.....so I'll watch this space (literally) for a bit longer. Very Happy
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammi I would take Kathy’s advice and hang fire, remember Paul saying something about one of his birds in the past disappearing for more than a few days, then reappeared.

Elle
Xx
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammi wrote:
A bit of a technical question for anyone who can help. My PC I know isn't up to the task of using icatcher console. I've been considering replacing it for a while but I'm never sure which bits of the set up need improving. Seems it's the gaming range of PCs that would be the best. Am I correct? It's looking less likely that I'll have more than one nest to monitor so I'm not sure if the expense is warranted Sad Is the option of a cctv monitor a better and cheaper route to take if I do get more than one nest? Sorry for putting this on here but I usually go round in circles when I try to decide Brick wall Think Confused At wits end Silly Silly Silly

Sammi.. .

You have two options, either you get a PC that has a large amount of memory, so that you can attach a video grabber device via USB and upload video motion detection software on it, such as iCatcher and the like.

Only thing is you'd have to leave the PC on all day, which leads to the over heating.

Or the second option is a CCTV digital video recorder, which is built for exactly this purpose of all day recording.

It has the capabilities within its software to allow you view four video channels by plugging in one or more cameras via the choice of four BNC inputs at the back (or 8 channels on more expensive models and upwards).

You view your images by plugging in a separate TV or PC monitor into the digital recorder either via HDMI input or VGA input. If the TV or PC monitor is modern enough, the screen should be able to split four ways, or eight or however many channels / cameras you have hooked up.

You will also need a harddrive installed within the recorder of usually 1 TB or more, which will enable you to record your birdbox activity on a motion detection setting and you can hold weeks and weeks of recordings, so that you can go back and look. Otherwise, if you don't have the 'internal memory' installed, you will only have 'live viewing' capabilities.

Plus, if your CCTV digital recorder is internet enabled, then you can attach an Ethernet cable or Wi-fi adaptor, so that it can send these images over the internet to your remote iCatcher App, or some similar Video capture software (software usually comes with the CCTV digital recorder), so you can view the activity when you are out and about. "Remote viewing"

The CCTV digital recorder is just a box and it doesn't make any noise or overheat, as it is only meant for video recording.

Having done both, I would highly recommend the CCTV digital recorder.

petes box

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sammi, download a program called ' Contacam ' I've been using it for years and its very good, and easy to use, it will have everything you need to record the birds and view them.
If your computer isn't t to old then it should be able to handle this program as it isn't very CPU intensive, hope this helps.

Dont download the latest version if you can download version 5.5.0 as this one has a Deinterlace tick box, you will need to use this.
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBH and Pete, thanks for the help. I put the camera on this morning and I'm sure the moss has moved Think I don't know My PC seems fine coping with icatcher sentry monitoring one camera but the icatcher console seems too much for it....poor old thing. I'll look into your idea Pete if I do get two nests....at the moment it looks unlikely....and the PC isn't connected up to the Internet as its been moved from its previous position. I now have to have it rigged up in a corner where the wires come in.
Do you think Great Tits will start on their second nest while they have another active one on the go? Think Think Confused
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No action at all today in GT box. Will have to be up before the larks tomorrow to see if anything messes with the moss then Waiting BT box still not much in the way of soft lining. Waiting Waiting Confused
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like you were up before the larks but any movement in GT box?
Sue
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Sue...yes up early to put the feeders out. Hope I'm never spotted in my dressing gown...... Roll on the floor laughing
No I think they have cruelly teased me this year. Looks like the box has been abandoned. Still have a pair of GTs in the garden who look to be searching everywhere for little insects and grubs....so I'd say they have a nest on the go. I think mr GT was sitting on top of the box the other day calling his lady to get back to the proper nest! Very Happy Thankfully still got BTs nesting...hoping for some eggs soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 7 of 19

Jump to: